Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to plant black walnuts

Posted by chuckby z5NY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:42

I got some black walnuts that have a green shell/cover over the nut. I would like to plant these and grow some black walnut trees. Do I remove the shell cover and plant the nut or leave the green shell/cover over it and plant it or remove the green shell, crack open the shell and plant the insides???? Would appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to plant black walnuts

Remove the green husk, plant the uncracked nut.

Hopefully, you'll have a few years before Thousand Cankers Disease hits your area (it's already in PA though).

o

If you're planting them, you don't have to remove the husk material - nobody does that in the wild.
However, if you do clean the husk material off, you can 'float test' the nuts - viable nuts will sink, unfilled 'blanks' will float; plant the sinkers, discard the floaters.
If you're direct-seeding where you want them growing - and if squirrel pressure is a consideration, you might want to consider planting 2 or 3 nuts per hole.

o

My walnut tree drops nuts all over my lawn. I pick them up and throw them in the ditch across the road. Now there is quite a forest of young walnut trees growing there.

o

From my experience (and I've seen this reported by others too), de-husked black walnuts often have a slightly better and faster germination rate. Left alone, nature can do the job for you, but it doesn't hurt to help nature along, sometimes.

o

I think a squirrel needs to be involved ....

o

LOL Esh, I was going to say - just throw a bunch out for the squirrels - they will plant them for you! I collect walnuts when walking around the neighborhood, or when someone throws them out at the compost site. The squirrels LOVE them. I throw a few out at a time under the tree where I throw bird seed. Now there are baby Black walnuts popping up lots of places, which wasn't really an intended side effect. But I like it!

There are several 4-6 foot saplings growing over along the property line with the neighbor, and they're doing pretty well in the dry shade next to his large Silver maple and in the midst of hundreds of pokeweeds. I decided they look so good, I'll transplant the babies over there and create a mini-grove. Hoping they might be able to compete long term with the invasive seedlings that get sown by the birds, and the Pokeweed.

This post was edited by terrene on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 19:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here