Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Begun the (Metasequoia) clone war has

A cutting I took late last winter while pruning my big tree actually has roots. Not the most scientific maner. I did some pruning and picked six or ten or so sticks and cut them at an angle and applied some rooting hormone then stuck them in pots outside. This one kept its foliage all summer and was the only one with roots coincidentally.

Seeing how a seedling started last year our performs a cutting is very interesting. I might try a couple more this year for grins. I think I was late last year getting the cuttings then again it was just a sidelight of pruning.

I have a grafted Ogon I might try this on. It actually needed staked after transplanting so I am not thrilled with that and the graft line is not a plus.

Will an Ogon grow on its own roots readily?

This clone of my tree seems to have darker foliage than some presumably seed grown trees I have in identical pots. Is that just normal?

Also, do you think it will actually grow next year and put on height? This hear I just got some foliage. Is that par for the course with cuttings?

Comments (3)