Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (7)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Just this weekend, I saw some of the first signs of "real" fall color here in Central Maryland, as in, the type not caused by stress.

Some of the blackgums (Nyssa sylvatica) are starting to get some red tones on the inner leaves. The wild blackgums in the woods here typically peak around Oct. 1 to 10 so that seems on-schedule.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Pretty cool tool for a forecast. I bet our area hits peak sooner than third weak of October.

So far the weather has been setting us up nicely for a great fall show.

Last year Sept and early October where quite warm and then BAM, freezes mid October. Crappy show last year.

The squirrels are hustling early and the pines dropped their needles early due to the cool onset of Sept thus far (perhaps the past winter has something to do with it as well).

I had 35 degrees this morning

• ben686
    9 years ago

Awesome link - thanks!

btw - graphical map for the ENTIRE US and not just smoky mountains.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Neat tool for planning road trips.

FWIW, I think we are a week or two ahead if its projection. Some of the early turners are doing their thing in St Louis already.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Now looking at WI, its completely off.

The northwoods is at 75-100% peak. My area in the kettle moraine (upper SE WI) is partial with many sugar maples near peak, honeylocust at or past peak, ash is patchy for some reason, poplars are nearly defoliated, etc. Only the oaks are minimal. Next weekend will be the best time to travel this area.

When I flew over the NY & PA area the other day I didn't see a shred of fall color anywhere but the map shows it similar to WI.

• drc215
    9 years ago

I am 30 minutes north of Milwaukee, about 3 miles from Lake Michigan, trees just starting to turn. The ash and willows still green, the oak 90% green, the elm is almost completely rusty red and gold, of the maples only the sugars are changing, and the basswood and birch are dropping leaves by the minute.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Basswood have some of the worst fall color this year, they are just defoliating.

Between this past winter and doughty conditions (constant 1/8" rainfalls do nothing but keep the grass green) from July - Sept its taking its toll on plants around here. My yellowwood and red maple have already defoliated.

Typical early Oct fall color. Today they are close to defoliated with no fall color.

{{gwi:443959}}

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting