Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ging_gw

Oak Identification

Virginia White
9 years ago

Hello all,
I am having a devil of a time I.D.'ing an Oak that I came across. The leaves are pictured here (see attached) and the bark is very similar to what I have seen attributed to Quercus alba, but the leaves are different from what seems to be the common pictures of White oak leaves. Closer to Swamp White Oak leaf-wise, perhaps, but again not quite.
One thing I noticed (and I'm very sorry I was not able to get a photo of the bark/branches/trunk) is the branches had bark similar to what you would see on an ornamental cherry, but in a silvery gray color. Very different from the plaque-like, fissured bark on the trunk.
Anyone have any thoughts/experience with these trees and can give me a yea or nay? Are the leaves on these trees like a Sassafras and can look very different on the same plant?
Thanks so much,
Ging

Comments (15)

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

Maybe Post oak?

• treelover03
    9 years ago

I have a HUGE water oak (quercus nigra) in my back yard and the seedlings allways look like those leaves. Even though the parent tree has leaves that are different. I think as they get older the get the 3 lobed leaves.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

White oak bark is fairly distinctive so I'd suggest that if the bark looks right then the leaves are just atypical. There can be some variation.

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks to you all! I'm betting esh_ga is correct. I'm familiar with the other oaks and this is a mature tree, so it's probably just variation. I will go back and try to confirm with some acorns later.
    You all are the best,
    Ging

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Looks like Q.alba to me, but oaks are pretty promiscuous, and it could be a hybrid of anything in the white oak group.

Just as with the leaves, bark character can be quite different within a species. Here's a variant of Q.alba that many folks wouldn't recognize...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how young is the tree you got the leaves from ...

and how much shade is it in ...

it takes quite a number of years for a young plant to show its true leaves... especially deep in the understory ... where there isnt the full sun they thrive on ...

ken

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fascinating, lucky_p! I'm so glad you posted that because at a distance I thought the plaques looked 'shaggy', but it turned out that they were just heavily fissured. Now I can see where it would possibly go in that direction.
    ken_adrian, don't know exact age of this oak (it's on the property of my new veterinarian's office) but by the trunk size/height/canopy I'm assuming it's in the 50 year range give or take. Probably on the lesser side, but it's a good-size. If I have my directions down and from what's around it I'd also say it gets good strong sunlight for over half the day, but I'm not terribly sure. The Sweetgum next to it is columnar enough not to block too terribly much on that one side and the other side is clear.
    Ging

• basic
    9 years ago

Lucky,

I have never seen a White Oak with flaking bark like that. Lucky you! It looks as if it is very thin; more Birch-like than anything else. Have you ried grafting this tree?

Bob

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

lucky that reminds me of this big Quercus alba that I saw in 2011 in Georgia.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I often post for oak ID's but the leaves are Q. Alba to me, the bark looks like Shagbark Hickory, but is similar in color to Q. Alba. The Shagbark Hickory "look alikeness" for lack of the proper wording, is of course because of the looseness of that silvery bark in your pic. Q. Alba bark is usually firmly attached to the trunk, my Field guide to eastern trees shows the Shagbark Hickory looking EXACTLY LIKE the bark you've shown, however those leaves are Q. Alba to me. Post oak looks more like a cross in the middle than the pic shows. I guess there is a slight possability it is Q. Lyrata, but MY money, (if I had some extra) is on Q. Alba.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

The bark pictures are by other people, not the original poster.

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

IMO the leaves the are just as likely to be post oak as they are white oak. I have countless understory post oaks that have identical leaves to the ones the OP posted. Bark can be a great help with ID but the acorn in this case will tell the tale. Post oak has tiny round acorns while white oaks have rather large oval acorns several times the size of post oak acorns.

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks j0nd03, I'm definitely going to look for those acorns later. I believe you are correct and that will clinch the deal. Sure has been an instructive post, though. :)
    Ging

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

by young.. i meant under 5 foot tall ... as i said.. deep in the understory ...

yours sounds like it part of the tall canopy .... but then i wonder where you got a monkey boy to shimmy up there.. to get you leaves ...

ken

• Virginia White
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, ken_adrian, 'monkey boy'! Nothing like that, I'm afraid. The tree is part of a landscaped area for lack of a better term. Not in a forest setting. Lots of light all around and I'm suspecting a bit of pruning here and there to keep views/insurance claims under control. The leaves were actually quite low and accessible for my shortness.
    I misunderstood, too. I thought you were giving an example of how long it can take for leaves to develop a mature character, not that you assumed this was in that setting. :)
    Ging