Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raf280z

Redwood Trees Sick? White powder under soil?

raf280z
9 years ago

Hello all,

This spring we moved to a house with these large redwoods in the backyard. This summer has been really hot and we have a drought here in California so its been tough on our trees.

However, other similar trees in the neighborhood seem to be doing okay, but ours look sick (top of tree is browning as well as lower branches). I was digging up some soil at the base of the trees and found this white powder under the surface.

Could this be mold of fungus? Do you think that this could be the reason my trees aren't doing well?

Any help would be great. If someone could point me in the right direction regarding how to solve this problem, I'd be grateful!

Comments (6)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

My first guess is the drought. But if other redwoods on the street are doing well I dunno. There is a chance you are watering less than the previous owners.

I am at a loss for scale. How large is that tree? Has there been any grading work done? I don't see the root flare. Was that white fungus under a layer of mulch?

Closest I can grow here is metasequoia. Boy did mine suffer in the heat and drought two years back. It recovered nicely with tons of watering on my part. Talking 8 hours of sprinkler every 3rd day. Mercifully water is cheap here as we have huge rivers that most years flood our new communities lol.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

on this pic.. it looks like spray paint ...

any chance at a macro pic ... a closer pic????

and scratch some back.. and take another pic.. how thick is it

and give us a pic of the whole tree ...

it is not uncommon for fungus' to attack mulch ... and it is all part of the process of the decomposition of the mulch ... that is how soil is made ...

and as far as i am concerned ... it has nothing to do with the tree ...

is that irrigation or an electric line wrapped around it ...

this is a rather large tree... and no history of recent transplant ..... i dont really know.. why it needs water.. drought or not ...

and it would really help... to get a full ID ... redwood is a bit vague .... since you are new to the house .... i would hate to think is a deciduous conifer.. and its just going into fall decline .. subject to losing its leaves/needles ...

any finally.. what possessed you to remove the mulch???? .. and do let us know.. how you water it ... hours.. etc ...

ken

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Are you in So Cal or Nor Cal? Pines and Redwoods, decades established, are dying here from the drought. Neighbors just cut down a 60' dead pine they planted in 1960.

Was it mulch/leaf litter/duff you pulled away to expose the white stuff, or was it soil? Is it possible that it's hard water deposits that have built up over time?

• rstwelves
    7 years ago

I am following this, as we recently moved and found this under our redwoods as well. When I rake to get it out, it goes a few inches deep. There are three redwoods in that corner but only one of them doesn't look super good. I don't think the mold is effecting them. I'm just worried about having mold around my family. Has anyone ever tried spraying the mold with vinegar, tea tree oil or grapefruit extract?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    7 years ago

"Has anyone ever tried spraying the mold with vinegar, tea tree oil or grapefruit extract?"

As a general rule it is wise to never treat a problem until you know what the problem is. You need a firm ID of what is going on before you attempt any sort of remedy.

I would call my local cooperative extension office- they are more likely to know what is going on in your local area. Find them in the white pages or online by county- just google "_______County CA (insert your county) cooperative extension office." They are standing by and ready to help.

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

This^. Expert help is available, certainly in a state as populous as California. Get someone involved who knows something! Both harmless-in fact beneficial-fungi often have white mycellium, but so do a few bad actors. We can't tell from here.