Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soaphands

Liquidambar health concern

soaphands
10 years ago

I have a question regarding what I believe to be a Liquidambar in my front yard (San Diego Area). I have two of these big trees (over 30 ft) right next to each other, one south, the other on its north side, a sidewalk separates them by about 30-40 ft. I did not plant them, the house was built in the 40's and I think they were planted perhaps around that time, but I honestly do not know for sure.

The one on the south side has already dropped its leaves, and what leaves do remain appear wilted, and only a few green and brown "spike balls" remain on the branches. The northern tree is still green with a few leaves turning for fall.

Earlier this year we did have carpenter bees nest in the problematic tree, but we removed the branch they were in and haven't had any bees since. Additionally, I have noticed for about a year now occasional a yellowy foamy, yet hard to the touch, looking substance on the base of the tree. It appears on the roots and base of the tree only. Initially, I thought it was a strange mushroom so I would just pull it off, but I am now concerned it may be the cause of the tree's condition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do everything I can to save this tree as it provides great shade when it does have its leaves. Last year the trees both lost their leaves at the same time, sometime in October, without any problems.

I have included a picture of the trees next to each other, I can provide better detailed pictures if needed.

My next door neighbor has the identical tree to the north of our "north tree", and it also has no issues.

Comments (12)

• soaphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is one of the foamy fungus things on the base of the tree

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Usually a fungus like that isn't what kills the tree. It shows up after it's already dying.

I could be wrong, though.

• calliope
    10 years ago

There are fungii potentially causing tree death and ganoderma is one of them. I don't know if this is it, but it looks suspicious.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

The mushroom is not the cause but it is a symptom.....usually these appear when a tree is suffering from some sort of heartwood rot, in itself a type of fungal disease. And most often one that is fatal.

Based on your photo, I'd say your tree was dead or very close to it. It is probably worth your while to have a certified arborist familiar with tree issues and hazard assessment come take a look at it. I think removal may be your best option at this point but confirm with a local professional.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

crikey!!!!!

a near dead tree.. that looks like it is..

one... 10 feet from the house

and two.. leaning over the house ...

i would not waste money on an opinion as to how dead it is.. or how many thousands of dollars i could pour into saving a near dead tree...

but one thing for sure..

it would be taken down within 30 days... or i would move out of the house...

so far.. you have lived a charmed life.. do NOT tempt fortune.. any further ...

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Soaphands, I second Ken's opinion. That thing would have to have one heck of a set of new buds set to open and no rot at the base to stay standing near my bedroom.

Anything odd happen near the dead tree? Trenching work or new sod? Sometimes people and trees just die but I always look for a reason (like a tree falling on a windy night) before blaming fate.

• BobtheArborist
    10 years ago

Hi soaphands :-) Your sweetgum looks like it has ganoderma root rot to me, a symptom of internal or root rot that is fatal. Time to remove the tree. Also it can spread from one root system to another, so the sooner it's removed the better. Several things stressed the tree out to make its immune system give in to a fungus like this - fungus entering a spot where injury occurred like a lawn mower or weedwacker is the most common further stressed by deficiency of water + girdling roots + heat + herbicides applied nearby + genetically weak etc. Best, Bob

• soaphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice/help. The tree is about 100ft from the house, but it does sit right next to our neighbors driveway, so down it will come.
    Other than a probable lawn mower nick, not many other things happened in the area. Aside from the carpentar bee investation. A few years ago a large branch from way up fell on its own (regular sunny day, no wind), but we couldnt figure it out.
    Now to find a replacement tree!

• BobtheArborist
    10 years ago

Yes, sweetgums are notoriously brittle. Not at all uncommon to have branches break off.

A lawn mower nick could have let in ganoderma spores which float around.

• BobtheArborist
    10 years ago

Yes, sweetgums are notoriously brittle and branches break off easily. Eucalyptus is another that does this. You might want to try an oak.

A mower nick could have let in ganoderma spores that float around.

• soaphands
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to be calling around for some estimates, but is there anything I can do to stop the spread of fungus to my other tree, like something I can poor on the visible fungus.
    I'm assuming the strunk has to go, so is there any point of using a stump killer, or should it be removed?

I have some airplants hanging off the branches, should I remove them, or is it okay to keep watering them as the water will
    Touch the fungus. I know ill have to remove them eventually, but just for now.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

There is a whole line of fungicide products. Some folks even treat their lawns with them.

I am no expert on these and really just watch the "mushrooms" pop up in my yard, most likely from where the roots of trees I have removed are rotting below ground.