Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turbo_tpl

growing beech (Fagus grandifolia) from seed?

turbo_tpl
15 years ago

As you might have noticed, this is the second tree that I've had rotten luck with (see my other post on chinkapin). I've collected beech (Fagus grandifolia) seed several times previously, but have not had any success in getting plants out of it.

Anyone got a good strategy for growing beech from seed? I've got about a three gallon bag of seeds. I'm particularly interested in the germination strategy (cold stratification, moisture levels, planting depth, etc).

Respectfully, TPL

Comments (17)

• cacau
    15 years ago

I think you can hold them dry in a ~41 degree environment until you decide to begin cold stratification. And I think you can hold them in cold/moist strat for longer than 3 months with no ill effect...if necessary to have them ready when spring weather is appropriate for planting in your zone.

A float test might help weed out nuts that are not viable; duds should float, filled nuts should sink. This test works OK for hickories, etc. It sounds like you have quite a few so you could also cut open a sample to see how sound the embryos are.

I use vermiculite in ziploc baggies for cold strat; I never tried sand, and I had some problems with mold when I used peat moss. I squeeze the vermiculite pretty well to express any excess water--the medium should be moist rather than wet. You should check the bags from time to time for moisture, maybe once a month.

Planting depth...I don't know, maybe a half inch? If planting outside you may need to deal with the hungry critters.

• philmont_709n2
    15 years ago

they grow really easily if you can find a viable seed! I have only been able to germinate 3 over a period of 4 years. almost every seed i have ever found is really empty or eaten by an insect. but once you find a viable one, they almost always grow in moist soil

• formoreaction
    14 years ago

As a great admirer of the american beech I'm utterly dissapointed of the difficulty to aquire seed of this beautiful tree for growing it from seed here in Europe (Finland)... are there any fellow gardenenthusiasts who could send some to me? ...in return you could ask for something in return from my part of the globe... :O)...

• jimfallonpvb_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have a beech tree putting off nuts. I like to bonsai several plants. Do I plant the whole nut or do I open the nut to plant the seed?

• jlgibbsjl
    9 years ago

I know this is years late, but Chiltern Seeds in the UK sells Fagus seeds. I just purchased Fagus sylvatica (common European beech) from them, they also sell F. sylvatica var purpurea.

Going to try germinating some as they have been in cold storage (39 degrees) at Chiltern for the last 8 months.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiltern Seeds

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I don't suppose any of you have any surplus beech seeds?

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Turbo, you are lucky you found all that seed. I have a Beech too young to seed. Someone was trying to find seed to no avail. I mentioned to someone that you had all these Beech seeds, they may post asking to trade for them or whatever you guys work out. Yet again he may not want/need them anymore. I emailed him mentioning someone on here has a bunch of seed.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Okay, this is 6 years ago, duh...... I didn't realize it was an old post, oh well.....

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

...besides, beechnuts are right tasty!

+oM

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

I did a tutorial on how to sow European beech (Fagus sylvatica) on a German gardening forum. Text is in English.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to sow European beech (Fagus sylvatica)

• tomato_dude_mi
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What a great tutorial! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Garten Prinz for taking the time.
    My wife has a friend in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with the most beautiful European purple beech in her yard (among other amazing trees), and I have been offered Seeds. I am so anxious to try out your instructions.
    This tree is 100+ years old, with a funky trunk a good 3 ft in diameter. Around in the front yard is a white oak that has been core dated at nearly 200 yrs old. Just incredible.

• Huggorm
    8 years ago

You should try a bunch of seeds if you want a purple beech becuase most of them will be the normal green. At least that is what I see around purple beech, lots of normal seedlings and only a few purple

• sam_md
    4 years ago

Around here now is the time to collect American beech nuts. These were found at Tudor Hall, home of America's most famous Shakespearean actors. They will disappear quickly.

• poaky1
    4 years ago

So, you collect them off the ground, right? I would try to find some to eat, I have too many trees to sow them for trees. IF I do find any, do you have to prepare them like "roasting" before eating? I am pretty sure I 'll find NO seeds since the squirrels will be out looking in the trees also.

• HU-160507961
    4 years ago

I want to get seeds of american beech. are they sold in some website?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Yes. Try searching under 'fagus grandiflora seeds'. Numerous options.