Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucelee_gw

An Awful Tree is Blocking the View

SpruceLee
9 years ago

At my beautiful home in beautiful Montana, we have a beautiful view. Unfortunately, there is a dead pine tree that is blocking a significant portion of this view. The tree has been dead for at least 5 years, according to neighbors. It is black in color and bares no pine needles. It is hideous. Sadly, it is on my neighbor's property who lives below us. We have asked him, and so have multiple people before us, to cut down the tree, take away the wood, and leave no mess. But he has repeatedly turned down the offer. The tree needs to go. Looking for a way to get him to take down the tree. Or creative ways for us to get away with taking it down. Thanks!

Comments (35)

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

Has he given a reason for his refusal?

If it's on his property, you are stuck with the tree.

• greenthumbzdude
    9 years ago

best to just forget it....I have heard of some messy things happening to people when they get involved in that sort of thing

This post was edited by greenthumbzdude on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 22:53

• SpruceLee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He didn't feel he needed to give a reason to me. I'm willing to rid of this thing at all costs. Any ideas?

• eibren
    9 years ago

Termites can easily take down a tree, but it takes a few years.

Maybe a hanging decoration while you wait?

I'm wondering if this is some sort of a neighborhood spite thing.

Have you all asked him if it could be removed at your expense?

Maybe he wants to keep the wood for a rainy day. Offer to let him keep it; offer to stack it.

Maybe he's a bird lover and a woodpecker lives in it...or an eagle on top of it...Who knows? Maybe some binoculars would help explain the hangup,

You could also offer to plant him a new tree....

Maybe he's waiting for bribes?

:o/

• SpruceLee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree is so dead I feel like on a windy night I could just lasso a rope to the top of it and give it a good pull and the top half (which blocks the view) would snap right off. Then if he ever asked we could blame it on the wind...

Or just quietly hand saw it down in the middle of the night. No proof there. Could have been anyone.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

'We have asked him, and so have multiple people before us, to cut down the tree, take away the wood, and leave no mess. But he has repeatedly turned down the offer.'

That's not an offer, that's a request (unless I misunderstood your statement). I can see why he refused. Perhaps you should offer to take it down for him. Tell him how much it would cost you. You and your neighbors could go in together on it.

Added:

My neighbor has let a mulberry tree grow right next to his side of the wooden fence. We brought over a banana bread and I mentioned it to him that the tree would ruin the fence and there would be fruit mess around his pool and that he might consider removing it before it got too big. I offered to help him remove it. He hasn't done a thing, so I feel that's all I can do. Maybe when it ruins his fence he'll do something. Some people are just oblivious to things like that. You can't force them.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 9:22

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

If you are offering to take it down for free with a licensed professional that is insured and offer a replacement then there is more to the story. Perhaps there is some connection to the tree, dig into that.

• ilovemytrees
    9 years ago

Wow! You are rude! And a coward too, for even thinking about cutting someone else's property down and pretending you didn't do it. I'm glad you're not my neighbor. Hopefully the other guy has a camera that will catch you doing it.

Are you paying his mortgage and property taxes? If not, then butt out!! It's none of your business.

It simply amazes me the people I come across online who think their wants and desires are more important than anyone else's.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

If you approached the gentleman owner as subtly as you approached us, I can see why he might refuse to cut it down, simply to spite you. I think I would. Really, it's not all about you...or your beautiful view from your beautiful home that's ruined.

If you approached the gentleman as a friend, who might have needed help in cutting down the tree (lets say he's old and frail maybe?), then you might have gotten results. I rather think coming and complaining about how his tree spoils your view....might not. Maybe you did...and just presented yourself in a bad light here...we don't know.

Good luck...I probably would have had the same desire to get the tree cut down too.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

If alive, the tree would block your view even more.
    If a dead tree falling could damage your property, you would be quite right to suggest that it be promptly removed in a safe manner.
    As it is, it looks as if you seek a benefit for yourself to be provided by others.
    There is a lot of that going around.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

Apparently you do not have the eye of an artist. If you look at many paintings and photographs, you will find there is usually something to provide a counterpoint to the main subject.

You have a perfect photo, The lovely view, with the perfect counterpoint. Forget about it, take some pictures or paint the view and earn some prizes with your great picture.

When I take pictures this is exactly the view I am looking for.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Just leave him alone. It is on his property and he doesn't want to take it down. Even it he did cut it down, what would you do it he planted another large tree in its stead?

• SpruceLee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well the thing is, I'm only leasing the house for one more year. I figure I take it out and do all the future renters of this property a favor.

Now that I've slept on the thought though, I think that it would be best to cut down the tree in broad daylight. This way it doesn't come across like I have something to hide. Maybe I should go down there one last time and give him one last stern talking to about how rude he is before I do anything tonight.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

SpruceLee, considering you are living in Montana and will be trespassing and taking his property, you might remember that he is probably armed and able to secure his lot.

A dead tree is not the worst thing, a larger live tree is a bigger issue and if you are a renter it is only a leased view. Maybe the property owner you lease from should be the one asking.

• eaga
    9 years ago

You might make a case on arboritarian grounds. Tell him you talked to the tree and it said it wanted it wanted to be cut down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree whisperer

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

He owns and may live there forever, you lease and will be gone in a year - and you're threatening his property? Dude, get a clue and leave his tree alone.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Lee needs to get a freak'in grip with reality. The world ain't about you, no matter how much you might want it to be.

BUT, I suspect a troll. In which case, same advice applies.

Let "it" quietly go away. You are doing exactly what "it" wants.

Arktrees

This post was edited by arktrees on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 0:33

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

" it looks as if you seek a benefit for yourself to be provided by others."
    That's very poetic.

"There is a lot of that going around."
    That's very true.

• SpruceLee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not trolling ark trees. Its a real issue. Need a solutions not amateur advice

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Can you clarify that you offered to pay for the tree to be removed?

If so consider hiring/mentioning a certified, insured arborist.

If so and the owner declines probably a bit more to the story.
    Probe and get a conversation going and don't make it about removing it as a yes/no question about a nicer view. Are there termites out there?

No reason a dead tree like that should just sit there.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Plant a tree on your lot that will grow up to hide the ugly dead one on his lot. You will still have plenty of view left over.

Or plant or erect something else near where you stand or sit and look at the view the most that will hide the dead tree from you.

Problem solved.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

You have a beautiful view.

Are you sure that the tree's owner won't agree to let you (or an appropriate service) ... take down the tree ?

If not, ... you'll have to live with it (for a while yet).

It's your neighbor's tree.

It's not the worst thing a neighbor can have in his yard ...

• eibren
    9 years ago

Looks to me like a smaller dead tree to the left, and a possible spite fence to the right.

I would tread carefully.

Besides, dead trees are habitats for some creatures.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

at a previous house I had a large river birch that died that I would not have cut down due to being very attractive to local woodpeckers.

• User
    9 years ago

What was said above about dead trees being a habitat for wildlife is absolutely true! I border public lands on two sides that have lots of living trees and some that are dying. The dead ones are selected for a lot of birds of prey and other animals. Maybe it's different in Montana, but my view is not stagnant. Some trees die...others take over and get bigger once there is more light in the canopy. Regarding trees on my property, I am lucky...neighbors are professionals in tree pruning/removal and on good terms with 'em.

I am sensing though, that this whole issue is about more than the aesthetics of a dead tree.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, there is a problem alright. But it's not so much the tree. I gave two possibilities, and my advice is still dead on money. Just because you didn't like it does not mean that is is wrong. You don't even own the place! You are leasing. Get over yourself, your whims are no more important than those of anyone else.

Arktrees

This post was edited by arktrees on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 20:58

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

"Now that I've slept on the thought though, I think that it would be best to cut down the tree in broad daylight. This way it doesn't come across like I have something to hide." ~SpruceLee

You may get a citation for destruction of private property if you do such, in broad daylight or under cover of darkness.

"Maybe I should go down there one last time and give him one last stern talking to about how rude he is before I do anything tonight." ~SpruceLee

How rude *he* is? You are threatening his property, if you gave him 'a stern talking to' the first time, as your posts suggests, it's no wonder he's not cooperative. Granted that looks like an ugly tree but you're not even a landowner there, you just rent, you're in zero position to dictate what the land owner keeps on his property. Are you one of those kids who Mom and Dad never said 'no' to? Because you're coming across as a self-entitled brat, imo.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I think the OP was sincere in his original post, but just pulling chains now and enjoying the reactions. If you had to ask the neighbours how long that tree had been dead, then you moved in with it looking like that. If it bothers you all that much, it's your own fault you took out a lease.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

SpruceLee, there are attractive dead trees and that is not one of them.

Any idea why your neighbor wouldn't let you remove it?

You might approach this from a "how can I talk him into letting me remove it?" point of view.

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

You need to move somewhere else, the tree is as ugly as the landscape behind it.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

a.sounds like he has an issue with you and using the tree to send you a message.....

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

I paid to remove some dying trees from my neighbors property due to them being close to my garage. He rents his house but he was wary at first to allowing it, then we explained that we needed access to his yard to get the trees but would clean up all the mess. He agreed.

His yard looks a lot better, didn't cost him a cent and I don't have to worry about those trees during next hurricane season. You have to be willing to give something to get something.

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

"there is a dead pine tree that is blocking a significant portion of this view."

From that description, I was expecting a large, looming monster of a dead tree. All that sprawl bothers me more than the SMALL tree.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

This (how do I make an up arrow on this 'puter) right above: Talk about much ado about nothing! Man, some lives are just so......je ne sais qua.....trivial!

+oM

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

+om, that's the word I have for it too. Trivial.
    SpruceLee, I think you're wound too tight. Relax. Enjoy the birds that land in the tree and the snow on it in the winter. It could be worse. It could be alive and getting larger.
    Mike