Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ednorton_gw

Pine, Spruce, Cyprus trees VANDALIZED

ednorton
10 years ago

Hello,

Have Pine, Spruce, and Cyprus trees that were vandalized by a fine human being. The top branch was cut. What can be done if anything to keep the nice shape of these trees?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Comments (2)

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Assume ;you mean the leader was cut. Most conifers will try to replace a lost leader. Typically one to three highest branches will transform themselves from branches to leaders. May take several months to couple of years for transformation. Best thing to do at this point is to leave them alone until the tree itself selects a replacement for the leader.
    How tall and what is diameter of the trees?

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

Not knowing what Cyprus tree you have, all
    I can say about that one is it will probably regrow its leader rather quickly and be none the worse for wear. The pine and spruce are a bit more problematic. Left to their own devices, they would replace the single leader with several leaders so you would end up with two or more uprights. That is quite common in nature but we tend not to want it in a garden. The solution is to find a branch toward the top of the tree and train it to be the next leader. To do this, select a young, limber branch. Slowly and gently bend it to an upright position. To keep it upright, either tie it to the existing trunk or get a plant support pole from your nursery (or your wood pile, it doesn't have to be fancy), tie the support to the trunk and tie the branch to the support. You will need to leave this in place for several seasons as the branch solidifies in it's new position. Be careful to remove any leaders that may grow up other than the one you chose. I have done this before, so I know it will work.