Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you all also think this is sumac?

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 21:53

Have been letting this weed/volunteer grow near some hostas along the driveway. If I am identifying right it is sumac. A quarter mile down the street is the nearest "normal" sumac I know of. I have Rhus...typhina(?) "Tiger eyes" only thirty feet away. They have suckered a bit bit those appear to be clones. No flowers yet so I would not think it is seeding.

Thanks in advance

Oh and sorry for the random sized pics. From the cell I cant always scroll back up and edit the html.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you all also think this is sumac?

Tree-of-heavenhell / Ailanthus altissima

o
Re: Do you all also think this is sumac?

Great pictures BTW. You make it easy.

o

Thank you once again Dan.

Were you able to tell by the smooth leaf edges and the lack of a pinkish stem?

Guess it is off to the burn pile for this fella.

Amazing the knowledge and recognition you all have even over the nternet.

o

I'm not Dan! I'm better looking and tougher (just kidding Dan, don't hurt me). (-;

Leaflet shape (with the glandular notches near the base) is a good first clue.

o

Man, I have watched too much football today. Cant even tell the difference between Brandon and Dan!

Time to cut some Rams from my fantasy team

o

After you beat through some brush and hack and spray enough, you'll recognize them immediately.

If my travel schedule somehow takes me to the area, Brandon owes me a nice microbrew. ;o)

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here