Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Star Magnolia

Posted by ljezuit ChicagoIL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 22:21

I have a star magnolia that I would like to prune some of the lower branches off. The reason is because this tree has grown so dense and started to branch downward not letting light to some Japanese barberries and they are losing their yellow color. I would like to trim just a few lower branches that are growing down in direction. I think it would also make the tree look more like a tree as opposed to a shrub.

Question will I harm the tree doing this now? I realize that I will lose the blooms setting on these branches but this tree has grown 10 fold since planting and is really dense and I feel I can afford to lose a few branches worth. My concern is more for the tree health and if so I will wait till next spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Star Magnolia

In town I saw this species get pruned as you would a boxwood, very harshly. Magnolias hate pruning. But the shrubs (they were shrubs) have sent out lots of new growth. Still not good for them, but if they can survive a drastic pruning like that then I would not worry too much if you just are removing a small amount low branches low branches tend to produce the least food for the plant anyways.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 7:16

I have pruned some 'so a bird could fly through them'. No harm done and the effect is very nice when they bloom in early Spring. Prune the hardest at the bottom and as you go up let it get denser so it has a canopy of sorts.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 22:54

With deciduous magnolias main thing to avoid is removing branches large enough that cavities might result. In this case "large" might be around one inch thick or more, I suppose.

o

We planted one in May of 2006. It was probably 5 1/2 feet tall at the time. That fall, our lab (he was just shy of his first birthday) pruned all of the lower branches. I was so upset and was sure it was a goner. I clean-cut all of the twisted and mutilated stubs with some loppers. Here it is two years later and the bottom branches are just about caught up with the upper branches. I don't recommend this type of pruning, but apparently the Star magnolia is pretty resilient...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here