Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Live oak with 2 large trunks

poaky1
10 years ago

Is it normal for Live oaks to have 2 large trunks? I mean Quercus Virginiana, not Quercus Fusiformis, which I know can have several trunks sometimes. I just wondered because I wondered about how to direct growth in 2 Hybrid live oaks. They are not pruned yet. I wondered if they get along great over their second winter how to prune them and what growth pattern is normal for them. I have spaced them fine for just letting them grow naturally on 3 sides for 1 tree. The others can spread out on all 4 sides. I know an 80 ft circle is a normal Live oak spacing, after many years. Maybe I'm overthinking this all. I will probably croak before these trees get much size to them anyway. Well, if a future owner of my land tops these trees, I will haunt them relentlessly.

Comments (3)

• nandina
    10 years ago

Over my years of golfing southern courses I have noted many mature double/triple trunked live oaks. Usually developers treat these beauties with respect leaving them room to exist in their surroundings, each one having its own 'personality' to be admired.

Also noted, those with multiple trunks sometimes due to storm damage, weight of top growth or insect damage split in the middle and one trunk will break off, falling to the ground. The remaining upright trunk will heal itself and keep on growing. I had the opportunity to watch two ancient live oaks go through this healing process for about ten years. Both trees are still alive and growing well. Don't think this comment answers the question asked. OP will have to decide how he wishes to grow his tree.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    10 years ago

Some of the really big ones have a split trunk.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have seen so many pics of live oaks. Those that have the most trunks are Q. Fusiformis, but I was wondering about the hybrids I have. I probably shouldn't prune much until they get some size to them anyway. Maybe let it keep the trunk branches and maintain 1 leader til it gets 7-8 ft tall. I know Live oaks have several main/large branches in maturity, but some maintain one trunk until they are 35-40 ft tall, then the branches do their spreading out like witches fingers.