Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcus_onus

Why are my trees so unhealthy? (Photo)

marcus_onus
9 years ago

Just look at this picture!

These were planted over a year ago, and looked prime to give us the ~20 feet of privacy we were hoping for.

Instead, they are wilting away.

I've tried keeping them SOAKED, I've tried scaling back the water considerably... neither seemed to make much of a difference.

Average temperatures where I live vary from 100* in the summer to 40-50* in the winter (with lows in the 20s at night) (Paso Robles, CA).

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

maybe its too early.. but i cant ID them .. closer pic???

how did you plant them ... ball and burlap or potted ... when planted.. was winter out of the ordinary???? .. soil amendments ... more info please ...

ken

• marcus_onus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

They were planed about 17 months ago, in a slightly colder-than-average winter.

They are some form of podocarpus. A landscaper planted them, and unfortunately I was out of the house at the time, so I have a pretty shakey amount of information.

A few months back I mixed in some "Miracle-Gro Garden Soil for Trees, Shrubs and Ornamentals" and it seemed to help a little bit.

I'm attaching a link to the full-resolution picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Full-Res Photo

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I'd say those aren't getting enough water. They look to be planted on a mound. A basin is much better for new trees as the water can be held in place for deep wetting. In addition the wetted zone looks to be small. They'll do better after they establish a larger root system.

• marcus_onus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Makes sense! So, keep soaking em'?

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

I'm going to guess that the roots could still be tightly pot-bound and were never untangled before planting. It's difficult for water to penetrate into such a tight root ball. In addition, I'm guessing that they were simply stuck straight into clay? Clay doesn't retain water very well..

You probably need to dig them up, comb out their root balls, dig much bigger holes and backfill them with actual potting soil before you plant them back in..

Although, Podocarpus sounds like a boring evergreen, anyways. I'd probably go with maybe a pineapple guava or maybe wax myrtle..

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Landscape With Pineapple Guava

This post was edited by blakrab on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 13:26

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

read the link.. especially in regard to proper watering.. THEN lets discuss any questions you may have ...

you might also want to dig up the worst.. and find out about the root issue ... that would be the one on the left ...

you would do this in late fall or winter.. depending on your location.. but others will have to answer that question ... as you aint in MI ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Please don't back fill a planting hole with potting soil. Research has shown that particularly in clay soil the roots remain in the hole rather than reaching out into the surrounding soil. In my neck of the woods, with adequate moiture, holes dug in clay and filled with improved soil work like a bathtub with the water remaining in the hole and drowning the new plant. Either backfill with the native soil or improve the soil in the entire bed by mixing in amendments. Mulch well to keep moisture more even, but don't let the mulch rest against the trunk; keep it back a few inches.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

A couple years ago I planted a whole row of Maki podocarpus in mostly shade, they started looking like yours in summer, in late Fall I unplanted them, tossed the worst and replanted the survivors in a part shade bed, I give them supplemental water when rain lacks (but don't drown them), no fertilizer but do compost the bed, they're all doing well now. I'm in SE Texas so they get plenty of heat but these don't seem to like it too shady or too sunny.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

Getting reflective sun/heat from being against fence will have an effect on foliage/ stress on the trees......