Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Can't find Sassafrass seeds yet, anyone see any in their area alr

poaky1
10 years ago

As the post says, I want to get some Sassafrass seeds. I have heard they need help to germinate. I basically have to simulate them passing through an animals digestive system. That's what I have heard anyway. Soak in vinegar, maybe some scraping with an emory board? I can get them at Shumacher's seed probably but, I only want a few, not a bunch. Anyone have anything to share, I think, I may be too early. My friend had some babies in her yard, but her boyfriend weed-wacked them into oblivion. I know digging them up isn't very easy anyway.

Comments (27)

• sam_md
    10 years ago

This pic was taken on August 10. Within two weeks catbirds and mockingbirds had gotten all the seed. Of course only female trees make seed.
    {{gwi:446640}}

• alexander3_gw
    10 years ago

Here in the Lehigh Valley, Sassafrass seeds have come and gone....I think you're too late this season to collect any yourself.

• calliope
    10 years ago

So many of them on my property appear to be sucker rooted, but occasionally I'll see one spring up off on its own so I know it's seed started. Like said the fruits often disappear quickly. I keep forgetting to look at a grove of them for you, but I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow. If I find any, I'll share.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I remembered to venture out right before dark, and there were none with seeds on them in the sassafras grove. I could hear thumps and buck snorts, so decided to not go prowling around in the woods nearby. LOL

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh poopy, I've checked the local groves and no seeds. The areas I've checked HAVE to be not mature enough, because I have checked the trees since August for seeds and no seeds are present.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Or else you are looking at male trees. Don't be fooled by a bunch of them in a clump........they sucker off roots and a whole group of them may be clones of the same tree and therefore the same sex. They are allelopathic, IOW secrete chemicals to keep germination suppressed, so that their colonies can establish. That's why I was looking for a solitary sassafras, because then I'd know it was seed-started. I don't see any seed on mine ripe or unripe. They should be ripening about now, into October in your area.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Calliope and everyone who replied. I started in August looking for seeds/ berries. My friend has some trees in her yard, but they had no seed. She had a few babies, but her boyfriend weedwacked them down, unless I can find one that he missed. I need to look in a few other places where I remember them growing many years ago.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

reminder to the OP and anyone else wanting to sow sassafras seed, it is ripening now. Collect only dark blue, ripe fruit, rub gently with water over a screen to remove the pulp. Sow immediately in ground or direct sow in cells. If seed is sown in pots protect from vermin and bitter cold throughout the winter.
    One additional note based on my experience, if clean seed is sown immediately in the seedbed, the warm soil over the next couple of months has an effect on the seed. It will germinate in high percentages next Spring. This cannot be accomplished by putting seed in refridgerator.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Saw some this past weekend. I'll check this afternoon to see if they're still there. They do 'disappear' in a hurry.

Oops. I see this is a year old... poaky, if you still want some, let me know...

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lucky, I had this in mind a couple days ago, but I have been busy while it has been daylight. I need to take a walk in the neighbors back yard about 1000 yds, or a bit more. They have some of them there. I am taking care of a friends dogs home etc. her mom is really sick. If you can get a few extra seeds I would pay you for a seedling. I hope to collect local seeds. I will try to update soon. I have to go take a walk about 5000 yards, to the neighbors back field. I am confident that there are seeds for Sassafrass back there. I can even take my car back there, if i am too lazy to walk, I have the Scion xa small hatchback model car. If there are no seeds I may have to pay for seeds I guess.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Picked some yesterday - if anyone wants some, let me know; I'm unlikely to plant 'em.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dax said you have some. He has contacted you already.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I lack the patience for starting things from seed but might be interested in baby sassafras.

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

After a few years of not much success, I came across a Sassafras tree loaded with seeds, I collected over 100 today. That's a lot more than I need, so I'm happy to share with my fellow enthusiasts. Contact me off list

Alex in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking forward to getting them Lucky.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the seeds today Lucky, thanks.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lucky i just went to take the seeds out to soak, and the envelope corner was opened, and the baggy was empty. If you have more and can send them, write hand cancel on the envelope. If you don't have more or don't want to send more, let me know. Thanks for trying. Let me know if you will send more. Thanks

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Yeah, I can send more. Dang, y'alls postal folks are rough up there in PA - I sent persimmon seeds to Bass many years ago, and they did the same.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess they "went postal" on these envelopes. Yeah, bad joke, right? But seriously, thanks for sending more. If you want reinbursed for postage, I can do that, let me know.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Alexander, I am very interested in seeds and tried to send you an email through GW, but am not sure if it went through (couldn't find the send button? oddly). Can you please let me know if you received the email?

Thanks.

• Panoply76
    9 years ago

Hi,

I have VERY recently bought some on eBay for a very fair price. I, too, am a bit baffled as to how to plant them.
    Here is the entirety of the directions I was given:
    Scarify: Soak in water 24hrs. Stratify: Cold 120 days, 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Sow .5 inches Keep warm and moist (not wet).
    I am NOT an expert arborist, or even a gardener and so am totally at sea with these directions. But the seeds are available on eBay.

• sam_md
    9 years ago

Hi Panoply,
    Here is what works best for me. I collect sassafras fruits as mentioned earlier on this thread. Gently rub them over a metal screen with water to remove the blue covering. Sow seed either in a prepared seedbed or sow in individual pots or cells, I cover seed with sand. These can be left outside but must be protected as I mentioned earlier. I have no experience with putting seed in refridgerator. I wouldn't begin to know how to scarify sassafras seed. The seed coat is not at all hard, think of it like a tiny avocado seed. Work quickly with cleaned seed, don't allow it to dry up and shrivel.
    {{gwi:446641}}
    The seed will germinate April/May of next year. One thing about sassafras, it will continue to flush with growth throughout the season. Pictured here is an average seedling you might have this time next year.
    {{gwi:446642}}

• sam_md
    8 years ago

Too late!

I went out this morning to collect seed for this year, this is what I found. EVERY species of bird finds sassafras fruit irresistible. Luckily I know of more trees on the neighbor's property.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I need to go hunting the local trees, I forgot about this, glad Sam posted this. Poaky1

• poaky1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A bird gave me a sassafras tree this spring. I'll have to move the recycling can fence, but, hey I got a free tree.

It pooped some seeds out under our E white pines.

• sam_md
    6 years ago

Anyone wanting sassafras seed better get with it. Catbirds, mockingbirds, cardinals etc are finishing them off. Treat seed as mentioned earlier, don't allow it to dry. You're gonna have lots of sassafras seedlings next year. Don't put buddleia in butterfly garden, instead use sassafras, maybe two or three of them.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll need to move the darn metal fence soon. I am totally happy that a bird shat the seed for a Sassafras tree in mY YARD.