Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(2) Tree ID. Is it a Silver and Red Maple?

Posted by Cal_00 5B (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 23:46

Hi, I'm looking to confirm my findings with the people of GW :). It's currently to dark to snap a whole tree picture but here are some leaf pictures.

Both trees are between 7-9' and were bought from Lowes quite a few years back. I normally save all my tree tags but I happened to lose or tossed these out and can't remember the names of these.

(A). This is the leaf that I think is a Silver Maple.
(B). This is the leaf that I think is a Red Maple.

Pictures here, first four (A) are the same leaf, next four (B) are the same as well. Took full, close up and back of each.

http://imgur.com/a/TaywN

This post was edited by Cal_00 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 0:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (2) Tree ID. Is it a Silver and Red Maple?

at your link ... hit the EMBED button.. copy the HTML ...

and paste it right here where you type ...

and type in between pix.. to ask questions..

ken

ps: and while you are at it.. put your link in the box below .....Optional Link URL ...

o

I would tend to agree with your ID's. The first one may have a little acer rubrum in the lineage IMO.

o

There are some red/silver maple hybrids on the market so you could have gotten one of those.

o

IMHO,
#1 Hybrid with a lean toward Red Maple. Does not look deeply forked enough for Silver maple to me. Even Autumn Blaze and Autumn Fantasy which are known hybrids, have more deeply notched leaves than the one you show.

#2 Red Maple

Arktrees

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 14:46

Trees at L. here often have wrong names on them anyway.

o

1 -- Silver, almost definitely

2 -- Red, definitely. That red petiole is a giveaway.

o

Silver-- my 2 cents

This post was edited by ttonk on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 1:43

o

MulchMama, doesn't that one you're saying is red almost look like it's a largish Acer ginnala or something? It's a little hard to gage size given the varied focal points of Cal's photos, but there's just something about that-doesn't look like rubrum to me. In rubrum, the orientation of the top of the lower two lobes is usually more nearly horizontal, er, at right angles to the petiole. These cut way down and in.

Anyway, just noticed that and got wondering.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here