Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graftedmultifruit

Looking for Multi-Fruit Fruit Trees

graftedmultifruit
13 years ago

Does anyone know where we can find Multi-Fruit Fruit Trees in the SE Michigan area? We've checked some nurseries and haven't had luck so far.

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Although I don't have a direct answer to your question, here are a couple of suggestions that might help:

1. Be sure you really want what you are asking for. There are many disadvantages to these "fruit cocktail" trees.

2. Check the Fruit and Orchards Forum for...
    a. more information on the benefits and disadvantages of this type of tree and
    b. possible sources.

3. Consider mail order sources whether you decide to go with a "fruit cocktail" tree or just a few really good fruit trees.

4. Below is a link to a list of many mail order sources. I'm not sure which ones will have what you are looking for, but it's a place to start.

5. If you do mail-order your tree(s), be sure to check out the source on Garden Watchdog before placing an order. Sources like TyTy, Burgess, and Gurney's are highly likely to result in disappointment.

6. Decide which type of fruit you want on your tree. The fruit cocktail trees usually contain various cultivars of the same type of fruit (apples, for instance) but may, in some cases, contain different, closely related species/types of fruit (for instance, different prunus species).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources for Fruit Trees and Plants

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

mail order ...

i think i got one years back from Stark brothers .. pears

a cursory review shows they have 2 on ones for apples and another with pears ... link below.. also search out the pear version ... perhaps call them for other options.. since its hard to search

i have personally never had a problem with stark ...

i have NEVER seen such offered locally .... gotta mail order ..

i have never seen an advert for multiple type fruit on one tree .... it is usually multiple of a given topic ..

in MI i would order for april first arrival .. and plant immediately .... [not when they might want to send it closer to 5/1]

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardener365
    13 years ago

One nursery I am extremely fond of that probably sells multi-grafted fruit trees (not sure) and has the cheapest prices I've ever seen: Willis Orchard Company

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Willis Orchard Company

• thomashton
    13 years ago

In my area they are long gone. I actually got a multi-grafted pear tree this year at Home Depot for about $25. Has 4 different pear varieties on it. They had an apple version, but I wasn't interested in what was grafted on it (red delicious, etc). My pear is strongly branched, has a great root system, and made it with minimal watering through a very long, dry summer. I couldn't be more pleased. Off the top of my head I remember it having bosc, d'anjou, bartlett, and comice on it. Perhaps your HD still has something similar and at a great price this late in the season.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Dax,
    Have you looked at Garden Watchdog's page for Willis? I am familiar with the potential problem related to TyTy's owner, but that doesn't come close to accounting for the massive amount of negative reviews of this nursery. Most of the reviews appear genuine, and Willis's owner (forgot his name) doesn't appear to even care about his ratings. I would tend to give Willis a little extra leeway because of the purported mudsling from TyTy, but there's just no way that that's their only problem. Something stinks...buyer beware!

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Meijer stores had 5 on 1 apples (2 types, one with all summer varieties, one with later fall types) and some 5 on one cherry trees (4 sweet, one tart) this past spring for $25. I bought one of each of the apples. They were actually really nice, large trees (8 feet tall, about 2" trunks at the graft, well rooted but not overgrown in the pots).

That's no guarantee they'll carry them next year, given the vagaries of mass merchandisers.

Raintree Nursery is a good mail-order source. I bought my 5 in 1 fruit cocktail tree from them. The nectarine graft died the next spring, but the other four have done pretty well. I got a LOT of prune plums off it this year, probably close to 2 bushels total.