Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chinkapin acorns edible?

Posted by l_james mo5 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 1:13

I was reading that the chinkapin acorns are edible. Is there anyone out there that eats these and likes them. Also do they need to be roasted first to be edible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chinkapin acorns edible?

I believe all acorns are edible. But, you will need to leach out the tannins to make them palatable.

o

That is correct, but different types need to be processed in different ways. Some have way less tannins than others, and some may still taste foul.
What I read implied that they could be eaten without much preparation.
Also the swamp oak has less tannins and is call the sweet oak this is not the white swamp oak though.

o

Edible yes, and some years on some trees, you might be able to eat them straight from the tree without the astringent tannins 'drawing your mouth awrie with much torment', as John Smith wrote about unripe persimmons, but most of the time, they'll need to be leached before you can use them.
For the white oak group, that will entail removing the shell and pellicle(the thin brown skin that surrounds the kernel), then running them in a blender of water until they're pulverized, allowing the chunks to settle, then pouring off the cloudy water, adding fresh clean water, repeating the blending until the water comes off clear - then you'll know that you've leached out the tannins.
If you roast them beforehand, it merely 'sets' the tannins and makes them unremovable.

o

I grew up in Northern Louisiana and my grandparents had a chinkapin tree. We definitely ate the nuts without any preparation of any kind. The nuts are sweet and delicious. It's hard to get any to eat because the squirrels can get them all in two days. The land was sandy, about a mile from a swampy area. Wish they were more plentiful. I have not had any since I was a child. We did not even refer to these nuts as acorns tho they resemble them. They were Chinkapins! The nuts are more slender than most acorns and the shell is almost black and very shiny. The inner covering of the nut is fluffy and silky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here