Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pecan trees at Plant Me Green

Posted by neptune24 8A, GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 7:55

I was looking at plantmegreen.com, and they have a good selection of pecan trees at quite reasonable prices. However, I can't find any ratings of Plant Me Green on the Web at all. Does anybody know anything about them? Hopefully they're not another Ty Ty or something. ;)

While I'm at it, I'll just kill two birds with one stone. I am thinking about buying Elliott and Caddo pecan trees. These seem to be compatible types. Is there any good reason these varieties wouldn't work well in N. GA?

Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pecan trees at Plant Me Green

Caddo are supposed to be an eastern type. Altho I am on the line separating eastern from western they have done ok for me so far in a somewhat dry area. Oldest is 4 yo. Would imagine they will do well for you.

o

No experience with PlantMeGreen.
Elliott is good - but vegetates early, and thus is susceptible to late frost/freeze - but has excellent scab resistance and kernel quality. One of the few 'older' cultivars still recommended for home/low-input pecan plantings.
You might also consider Kanza - I've seen recommendations for it in north AL, and it's the new standard-bearer for pecan varieties across the northern/midwestern pecan belt; good scab resistance, excellent kernel quality, high production, early maturation.
Don't have any personal experience with Caddo, though it was developed in GA - but USDA only currently recommends it for AR/TX/LA.
Linked below is an AL Extension bulletin on varieties for home/low-input plantings. It's got some age on it - I think they've removed Jenkins from their recommended varieties, and probably have added some more worthy of trial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecans for Home/Low-Input Plantings

o

Thanks for the helpful info, scotjute and lucky_p. Here's another link below that's pretty helpful as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecan varieties for GA orchards

o

Oh, concerning Kanza, that document says:

"We recommend Kanza as a replacement for Elliott in northern areas where Elliott would be damaged by late spring freezes. In southern areas we continue to recommend Elliott because of its proven track record of high scab resistance."

So apparently late freezes aren't enough of a problem for most places in GA to cause much damage to the Elliott variety.

o

neptune,
Agreed, Elliott is probably safe for you.
Think I have seen Dr. Bill Goff recommend Kanza for trial as a good, scab-resistant, early-maturing variety for north AL.
It's rapidly supplanting many of the older, established northern/midwestern varieties here in the northern/midwestern pecan belt.

I've grafted several of the newer scab-resistant varieties they recommend - even though Dr. Goff suggested they might not be able to mature their nuts here - but they have managed to do so. Had one tree of Elliott grafted, but it died after I transplanted it. Will probably try it again at some point.

o

OK, thanks for the info, lucky_p. Since I definitely want to get an Elliott, Kanza wouldn't work for me too, since it's also a type 2 variety and couldn't be a pollinator. But if Elliott weren't available, I would definitely think about getting a Kanza.

Interesting about your grafting--sounds like fun. :)

o

I just ordered an Elliott and a Caddo from Plant Me Green. Got free shipping too. The trees look pretty good. Based on what I've seen, I would recommend this company.

o

neptune24, thanks for commenting on your experience with Plant Me Green. I am looking at buying pecan trees from them this year for N Al. Are those you bought last year still in good shape? Did you buy bare root, 4x4x10, or #5 pot trees?

o

IMO, the best place to look for nursery ratings (by far) is over on Dave's site (Garden Watchdog). Plant Me Green is rated there. There have been 9 reviews so far, and all are positive. That's not as much history as some other nurseries, but so far so good!

o

I did see those ratings, but wasn't sure how unbiased they might be. thanks for the feedback

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here