Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neptune25

Pecan trees at Plant Me Green

neptune25
11 years ago

I was looking at plantmegreen.com, and they have a good selection of pecan trees at quite reasonable prices. However, I can't find any ratings of Plant Me Green on the Web at all. Does anybody know anything about them? Hopefully they're not another Ty Ty or something. ;)

While I'm at it, I'll just kill two birds with one stone. I am thinking about buying Elliott and Caddo pecan trees. These seem to be compatible types. Is there any good reason these varieties wouldn't work well in N. GA?

Thanks for any info.

Comments (22)

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Caddo are supposed to be an eastern type. Altho I am on the line separating eastern from western they have done ok for me so far in a somewhat dry area. Oldest is 4 yo. Would imagine they will do well for you.

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

No experience with PlantMeGreen.
    Elliott is good - but vegetates early, and thus is susceptible to late frost/freeze - but has excellent scab resistance and kernel quality. One of the few 'older' cultivars still recommended for home/low-input pecan plantings.
    You might also consider Kanza - I've seen recommendations for it in north AL, and it's the new standard-bearer for pecan varieties across the northern/midwestern pecan belt; good scab resistance, excellent kernel quality, high production, early maturation.
    Don't have any personal experience with Caddo, though it was developed in GA - but USDA only currently recommends it for AR/TX/LA.
    Linked below is an AL Extension bulletin on varieties for home/low-input plantings. It's got some age on it - I think they've removed Jenkins from their recommended varieties, and probably have added some more worthy of trial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecans for Home/Low-Input Plantings

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the helpful info, scotjute and lucky_p. Here's another link below that's pretty helpful as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecan varieties for GA orchards

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, concerning Kanza, that document says:

"We recommend Kanza as a replacement for Elliott in northern areas where Elliott would be damaged by late spring freezes. In southern areas we continue to recommend Elliott because of its proven track record of high scab resistance."

So apparently late freezes aren't enough of a problem for most places in GA to cause much damage to the Elliott variety.

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

neptune,
    Agreed, Elliott is probably safe for you.
    Think I have seen Dr. Bill Goff recommend Kanza for trial as a good, scab-resistant, early-maturing variety for north AL.
    It's rapidly supplanting many of the older, established northern/midwestern varieties here in the northern/midwestern pecan belt.

I've grafted several of the newer scab-resistant varieties they recommend - even though Dr. Goff suggested they might not be able to mature their nuts here - but they have managed to do so. Had one tree of Elliott grafted, but it died after I transplanted it. Will probably try it again at some point.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, thanks for the info, lucky_p. Since I definitely want to get an Elliott, Kanza wouldn't work for me too, since it's also a type 2 variety and couldn't be a pollinator. But if Elliott weren't available, I would definitely think about getting a Kanza.

Interesting about your grafting--sounds like fun. :)

• neptune25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just ordered an Elliott and a Caddo from Plant Me Green. Got free shipping too. The trees look pretty good. Based on what I've seen, I would recommend this company.

• jlong102
    10 years ago

neptune24, thanks for commenting on your experience with Plant Me Green. I am looking at buying pecan trees from them this year for N Al. Are those you bought last year still in good shape? Did you buy bare root, 4x4x10, or #5 pot trees?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

IMO, the best place to look for nursery ratings (by far) is over on Dave's site (Garden Watchdog). Plant Me Green is rated there. There have been 9 reviews so far, and all are positive. That's not as much history as some other nurseries, but so far so good!

• jlong102
    10 years ago

I did see those ratings, but wasn't sure how unbiased they might be. thanks for the feedback

• ra
    6 years ago

most of those reviews on Garden watchdog for Plant Me Green are left by the same company. They're making fake profiles and leaving themselves positive reviews.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    6 years ago

Maybe RA should have said that many of the reviews were apparently faked by the company. There are also many other reviews, many of which are not so good. It's great that Garden Watchdog caught Plant Me Green being the dishonest sleezeballs that they apparently are!

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Speaking as a customer with no relation to this company, The staff at PMG is very knowledgeable about the pecans, which is what I’ve purchased from them. I received good plant material. Got four and have 3 left and I take credit for its demise

Ra, dont know where you got your info (unless you wrote fake reviews yourself) but GWD is a very reliable feedback source.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    6 years ago

Bossyvossy, look at the GWD page itself and read the entries in bold. Multiple reviews were found to have come from the same IP address as the computer that the company used to respond to GWD! They sent in a bunch of fake reviews. I would be very leery of buying anything from any company that gave itself a bunch of fake reviews.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I am relieved that the GWD was able to spot the fakes but it is no less distressing that PMG would even think of doing this. I just wrote them a letter expressing my disappointment and asking for apologies to all who supported the biz. May fall on deaf ears...sigh

whst is it with GA Nursery people? Many years ago there was a big row between GWD and TyTy. Many customers accused TyTy of misrepresentation and TyTy owners threatened to sue GWD if negative feedback was not deleted. GWD gave in and to this day I’m disappointed they didn’t stand their ground. However, the behind the scene reasons are unbeknownst to me so my disappointment is neither here nor there.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi jlong102,

Sorry I'm 4 years late in responding to your question, but I guess better late than never, right? ;)

I am looking at buying pecan trees from them this year for N Al. Are
    those you bought last year still in good shape? Did you buy bare root,
    4x4x10, or #5 pot trees?

The trees I have bought from PMG have stayed in good shape, but they've also had deer damage. I planted a Caddo 4 years ago, and it's now about 6 feet tall and looking pretty good. I just planted a Kanza from PMG a few weeks ago because my Elliott has had too much deer damage. It is growing back from the roots, though, but is only a couple feet tall now. I also realized that Elliott was not the best pick for me because it did become damaged by late freezes, so that's why I just planted a Kanza instead.

The trees I have bought were all #5, I believe.

Hope this helps, and sorry I never saw your message before now.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Speaking of PMG, I also ordered a pawpaw tree from them a few weeks ago, and it looked good as well.

However, early in the spring, I sent them an e-mail with a general gardening question about a tree I had ordered from them in the past, but never got a response. So, apparently they are hit and miss.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bossyvossy wrote:

what is it with GA Nursery people?

Actually, Plant Me Green is in Florida.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Oops

anyway, here is owner response:

We have a computer in our offices for public use. We are in a very small
    town and many / most local customers do not have Internet. Some of our
    first customers used this PC for reviews. Later when we were informed that
    any review from these computers would be listed as internal, we stopped
    asking and or allowing anyone to give us reviews from this PC.

So do not be too distressed.

R.R. / PlantMeGreen

• neptune25
    Original Author
    6 years ago

brandon7 wrote:

After all this, I wouldn't trust Richard Roccanti (the owner of this
    disreputable company) with one cent of my money. He apparently has a
    problem with the truth and with running his business in an honest way.
    He seems to think we will blindly believe any cockamamie story he comes
    up with!

His tale does sound pretty far-fetched. Maybe next time he'll say that some stray dogs wandered in and posted the reviews from the company computer. ;)

Also, why didn't he post this excuse after each review in question? He's had years to do so.

Having said that, I have been pretty satisfied with their trees. So, my advice would be to only buy from this company if you can't find what you want elsewhere. And only pay with a credit card, obviously.

Anyway, someone definitely needs to say to him: Liar liar, plants on fire!!!!! ;)

• cousinfloyd
    6 years ago

I ordered two pecans from PMG two or three years ago and was very happy with the trees and the service, for whatever that's worth. I think I left one of the positive reviews on GWD. I'm from Yadkinville, NC. I bought 2 Amlings. The person I spoke to on the phone was able to tell me what rootstock they were grafted on -- I think they were seedlings of Elliott, but I might not be remembering correctly -- and give me other information that other nurseries often don't know or don't share. PMG doesn't have a lot of the kind of things I would want, but based on my one little order, I'd definitely order from them again, especially given how cheap their pecans were. I was very suspicious of them at first, and I'm still a little suspicious, but my experience was excellent.