Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krazyaroider

Looking for source: M. grandiflora '24 Below'

krazyaroider
16 years ago

I am searching for a source of Magnolia grandiflora "24 Below".

Is there really any difference between "24 Below" and Edith Bogue - anyone here growing the two could answer this...

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Googling turns up sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search Results

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Maybe it doesn't.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bboy ~ Thank you, but that is why I turned to the trees forum as googling was not turning up any sources...

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Of course. However, some others have asked about things that did show themselves searching the internet. I thought there were sources coming up for this as well but .coms turned out just to have pictures and so on.

• kman04
    16 years ago

I grow both of these Magnolias. I think that 'Edith Bogue' has slightly darker green leaves, and perhaps a bit more indumentum on the leaf undersides, but 'Twenty Four Below' has larger leaves which stand up to the winters a bit better. I find the color of 'Twenty Four Below' to be a rich nice looking green and in some ways more impressive than other M. grandiflora, even though it's not as dark as some other Magnolia grandiflora. Both Magnolias come through the winters here just fine, but like I said the leaves on 'Twenty Four Below' come through looking a bit more pristine than those on 'Edith Bogue', although neither has much(if any) winter burn or any other damage in most years here. I'd say they are both about the same in regards to wood hardiness, but then again I haven't had any wood damage on any M. grandiflora here(yet) in the past 15 years(coldest temp being about -12°F) with the possible exception of 'Saint Mary', which had some wood damage seemingly from a significant cold spell in the middle of an otherwise warmer than normal spring.

You might try Owen Farms in Ripley, TN. They've carried this Frank Gaylon(Knoxville, TN) cultivar for many years. I haven't dealt with Owen Farms in several years, but have had good past experiences. Their phone # is phone (731)635-1588. You might also try Greer Gardens and Gossler Farms, even though both don't list it in their current catalogs, they have had it in the past and might have some in quantities too small to list.

Good luck!

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kman04 ~ I emailed both Greer and Gossler farms and await their responses. Where did you purchase yours?

• treelover3
    16 years ago

Contact Beaver Creek Nursery at the link below. I purchased a '24 Below' from them a couple of years ago. After I received the plant (and came to my senses) I gave it to someone who took the plant to Ohio where it is living now.

Not all nurseries produce all of their plants all of the time; it usually goes in cycles. You can check with Beaver Creek to see if they might have any in stock, but just not enough to list for sale.
    Good luck,
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Beaver Creek Nursery

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mike ~ thanks for the tip, now I am waiting for Brenda from Beaver Creek to check the availability and email me back - hopefully soon...

Anyone else - if you know of a source for Magnolia graniflora '24 Below' please let me know.

I will consider seeds from a known M.g. '24 Below' tree and if anyone knows of a local nursery that does not do mail order, let me know we can work out the details...

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all tips & hints regarding my search for this cultivar.
    I placed an order for 2 two gallon M.g. '24 Below' trees that are 18" and 2' and expect them soon. The source is Beaver Creek Nursery in Knoxville, TN.
    ~ Gerry

• treelover3
    16 years ago

Gerry,
    I'm glad it worked out and you found the trees.
    Take care...
    Mike

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

You know you could contact Bristols Garden Center (Victor,NY). They are an hour'ish away from you and they carry a wide selection of many varieties of trees and shrubs. I don't know if they have the specific variety you are looking for but a short trip (relatively speaking) could save you $$$ on shipping. They're nice folks to deal with, have good nursery stock, and generally have guarantees on their trees.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Bristols Garden Center

• kman04
    16 years ago

krazyaroider,

I got my '24 Below' from a mail order nursery in Tennessee, called either Owen or Owen's Tree Farm. One is an old farmer who likes trees and grows a limited variety for mail order, and the other is a more full time mail-order nursery, but I forget which is which. I ordered from the farmer owned one.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I recieved 2 Magnolia grandiflora '24 Below' from Beaver Creek Nursery on Thursday. They are about 2 feet tall in 2 gallon pots. The trees are very healthy and vigorous looking. I will keep them protected this winter with the intention of planting them in the spring.
    If anyone is searching for this tree/cultivar - Beaver Creek has one gallon trees and Arrowhead Alpines has them...
    I shall give updates on these and my other cultivars in the future...
    Thanks for all tips & hints
    ~ Gerry

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?