Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Root Rot

Posted by chowbarry none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 9:58

Recently, I have found some trees at my garden infected with Brown Root Rot. Can anybody here tell me how can I deal with this disease? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Root Rot

where are you..

what trees..

how educated are you .. should we simply rely on your diagnosis ..???

and.. finally.. healthy trees dont rot.. so why are they rotting...

one might argue.. that ROT.. is not a disease.. but a by product of some other endemic problem ...

i dont want to see us go off on a discussion.. if that might not actually be the problem ...

ken

o
RE: Brown Root Rot

Can you identify the disease as to its Latin name? And how did you come to determine this was the problem? "brown root rot" is a common name for Phellinus noxius, a pan-tropical/subtropical pathogen.......not a likely issue to be present in a northern hemisphere garden. But then we don't know exactly where you are located, either :-))

There are various other root rots - many, in fact. While some of them are the result of pathogenic organisms living in the soil, just as many (or more) are the result of excess moisture or poor drainage. 'Dealing' with a root rot is less a matter of treatment (there typically aren't many) than it is adjusting the cultural conditions or selecting a resistant species.

But it is essential to get an accurate diagnosis for your problem before any sort of suggestions to accommodate it can be made.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here