Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Quercus coccinea has a red leaf!

Well, there is a red one. Lets see how the rest of the fella does. Last year it had a good start on fall color at the nursery but rather dried out once transplanted.

Comments (8)

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Fingers crossed!

Many of the red/black oaks (any in that group) seem to have this browning issue this year so might not have as much color. The white oaks (& related) look fine.

That said, some pin oaks in a parking lot island near me are turning DEEP red already.

What sometimes happens (I'm concerned this year) is that the colors start early due to dry weather, but beause its so dry, the leaf dries and falls before reaching full color potential.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Looking like a healthy baby there. Curious as to how much it grew this year?

Our Scarlet colors late, and starts with the veins and petioles taking on a red-brown color (which it has already done), then eventually the red slowly displaces the green, and then brow displacing the red.

Keep us posted on your little guy.

Arktrees

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

May be a teaser. Some of my trees do that -- Chinese elm has a couple blood-red tips starting, but it never colors that well wholesale.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

What sometimes happens (I'm concerned this year) is that the colors start early due to dry weather, but beause its so dry, the leaf dries and falls before reaching full color potential.

Hair, that's true for drought-intolerant trees -- less so for oaks, etc.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Yeah, the maples are notorious for that around here. Same for Liquidambar & also for Liriodendron.

Last year the oaks were generally our best color, actually. A Scarlet Oak near my old office was absolutely stunning around Nov. 10, but quickly turned brown while the leaves remained on the tree another month.

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

Our Liquidambar has been losing interior leaves since mid September. Do you think the color will stink because of the drought?

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

It's hard to say - we were WET WET WET until mid July, then someone turned off the spigot. Aside from a nice 1" soaker two weekends ago, we've had NOTHING in appreciable rain since then. Crossing fingers that Karen gives us some rain as is currently likely.

It seems to vary a lot here. Some Liquidambars are turning DEEP red on the outer leaves already (some purples too) and some are still green but the inner leaves are dropping and yellow.

If some rain comes soon, I think colors will be good.

• famartin
    10 years ago

If you look closely you'll see there is a severe injury to the central vein of that leaf, and the color is occurring beyond there. That's why that one leaf is early.