Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quercus coccinea has a red leaf!

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 10:03

Well, there is a red one. Lets see how the rest of the fella does. Last year it had a good start on fall color at the nursery but rather dried out once transplanted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quercus coccinea has a red leaf!

Fingers crossed!

Many of the red/black oaks (any in that group) seem to have this browning issue this year so might not have as much color. The white oaks (& related) look fine.

That said, some pin oaks in a parking lot island near me are turning DEEP red already.

What sometimes happens (I'm concerned this year) is that the colors start early due to dry weather, but beause its so dry, the leaf dries and falls before reaching full color potential.

o

Looking like a healthy baby there. Curious as to how much it grew this year?

Our Scarlet colors late, and starts with the veins and petioles taking on a red-brown color (which it has already done), then eventually the red slowly displaces the green, and then brow displacing the red.

Keep us posted on your little guy.

Arktrees

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 11:28

May be a teaser. Some of my trees do that -- Chinese elm has a couple blood-red tips starting, but it never colors that well wholesale.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 11:30

What sometimes happens (I'm concerned this year) is that the colors start early due to dry weather, but beause its so dry, the leaf dries and falls before reaching full color potential.

Hair, that's true for drought-intolerant trees -- less so for oaks, etc.

o

Yeah, the maples are notorious for that around here. Same for Liquidambar & also for Liriodendron.

Last year the oaks were generally our best color, actually. A Scarlet Oak near my old office was absolutely stunning around Nov. 10, but quickly turned brown while the leaves remained on the tree another month.

o

Our Liquidambar has been losing interior leaves since mid September. Do you think the color will stink because of the drought?

o

It's hard to say - we were WET WET WET until mid July, then someone turned off the spigot. Aside from a nice 1" soaker two weekends ago, we've had NOTHING in appreciable rain since then. Crossing fingers that Karen gives us some rain as is currently likely.

It seems to vary a lot here. Some Liquidambars are turning DEEP red on the outer leaves already (some purples too) and some are still green but the inner leaves are dropping and yellow.

If some rain comes soon, I think colors will be good.

o

If you look closely you'll see there is a severe injury to the central vein of that leaf, and the color is occurring beyond there. That's why that one leaf is early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here