Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

Oak ID - Shumard or Nuttall?

Purchased this tree from a big box store labeled as Quercus shumardii. Many of the other trees were mislabeled - a Quercus rubra had a tag saying Quercus bicolor! Now that my tree has been in the ground a few years and is getting up to size, about 12 feet tall now, I am doubting its ID. Is this really a Q. shumardii or could it be Q. texana (nuttallii)?

Pic of leaves(dried and pressed):
{{gwi:450946}}

Pic of underside of a leaf(dried and pressed):
{{gwi:450947}}

Comments (13)

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

You might have a hard time nailing it down. My "shumard" from OIKOS looks like shumard crossed w/nuttall. And that's after 9 seasons (25' tall) trying to figure it out. It has similar leaf variations that you show. No acorns yet.

OIKOS has an "open pollination" farm, and thus a good chance of hybridization in their stock. Bottom line my "shumard" is a fine tree growing fast & coloring scarlet-red late in the season (& holding on to most of the dried leaves thru the winter). I don't think shumard typically colors scarlet-red (usually orangish-red at most), or holds on to its leaves, and yours may give you some clues this autumn/winter.

This post was edited by beng on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 11:40

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beng, good to know about the shumard not having as nice a fall display as nuttall. My tree seems to be hit or miss with fall color. One long warm fall a couple years ago it had spectacular bright red fall color - which would suggest nuttal based on your info. Perhaps the hit or miss fall color is due to our shorter season up here. Though we're both in z6, I'm assuming my zone 6 has earlier, longer, and colder winters than yours. The only reason I'm zone 6 and not a solid 5 is due to temperature moderation by lake Erie. Our first hard frost usually occurs in early to mid October. I've read that some of the red oak group likes to wait until mid November to color up fully. By that time we usually have had multiple hard frosts and in colder falls have minor snow cover for Thanksgiving.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

I would classify it as Q. Shumardi based on what you are showing. The leaves seem more like that tree than Q. Texana to me based on what I can tell. Texana leaves are smaller and the trees themselves are smaller and slower growing. It is quite common for Shumardi to not color til late Nov down here.
    My data is showing Q. Texana to be a different tree from Q. Nutalli.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Scotjute, As far as I know, at this point Q. texana = nuttal oak. What used to be considered Q. texana, Texas red oak, is now renamed Q. buckleyi. I agree, I don't think this is Q. buckleyi. Are you saying you favor shumard over nuttall oak for my tree?

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Looks to me like it falls within the "range" of typical Shumard leaves.

• drrich2
    10 years ago

It's my understanding that Shumard Oaks tend to hold their dead leaves in winter, whereas Nuttall Oaks do not.

I planted a Shumard at the last place we lived, and a Nuttall where we live now.

Does your oak tree hold a lot of dead leaves over much of the winter?

Richard.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Richard - it holds only a handful of leaves over the winter, less than a quarter of the total canopy

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

It looks more like Shumard than Texana to me.

• jdo053103
    10 years ago

Definitely not nuttall, looks like shumard to me.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I have 1 Shumard oak, if I believe my nursery labels. The rest are all Nuttalli's. I will not be disappointed if this 1 tree turns out to be a Nuttall's oak. I wish to sleep on the Nuttall's oak belief, and wood board of 4 square ft.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess the consensus is shumard then. So far my scarlet oak and pin oak have developed beautiful red fall color. This tree looks as green as it did all summer - not the slightest hint of fall color yet. Based on what I've read (and been told here by everyone) and what the tree is doing, it does seem to be more lined up with shumard than nuttall. I will probably have to wait for acorns to confirm the ID 100%.
    There is a mature shumard in one of the arboretums in central NY, with leaves pretty much identical to the first few pictures in the link below. Seeing that tree is what made me doubt the tag/ID on mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shumard Leaves

• jdo053103
    10 years ago

My pin oaks turned a beautiful dark red this fall, really nice. Nuttall did okay, only have one tree and its still small at 10'. Turned a dull orangy red color, nice, but not as spectacular as the pins. My shumard hasn't done anything yet. A few leaf tips look like they want to turn.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

My shumard (with I suspect some nuttall traits) is now full scarlet red, after most other trees are bare. Stunning, but no working camera for pics.

Its small leaves & fine twigs, very late turning into scarlet, holding onto all leaves for the winter, and very early emergence in spring are reasons I think there's nuttall (a deep-south oak) in it, instead of pin or scarlet oak.

This post was edited by beng on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 9:04