Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Experimental tree seed order

canadianplant
10 years ago

Every year I do a fall seed order. The last few years it has been tree seeds that need to be stratified ove the winter. Last year were batches of magnolia and maples. Of course those arent the easiest to grow from seed, and I managed to get one magnolia tripitala to survive the winter.

I am just wondering if anyone here has experiences with these guys:

Schisandra chinensis - Listed as zone 3. Its called "5 flavour fruit" in chinese. A nice looking vine.

Chionanthus virginicus - Native to the south east US. Also called goats beard or old mans beard. Fragrant, and hardy to zone 3

Acer palmatum atropurpureum var. dissectum 'Weeping Lace' - Zone 5 but stays between 3 - 5 feet. Should be good enough to keep it low so snow can protect it.

Magnolia acuminata - I have constantly read that this tree is hardy to zone 3, yet I dont see it planted. Even if its zone 4 it shouldnt have a problem here. Probably the hardiest magnolia, one of the largest and IMO best looking

Carya ovata - The good ole hickory tree. They can take down to -40 for a short period of time when established. Slow to come into production, and an under appreciated tree, yet anyone who eats bacon and ham can appreciate its other uses.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I managed to get one magnolia tripitala to survive the winter.

==>>> you mean indoors in winter ????

perhaps you would do better if you stored them.. and dealt with planting very late in winter.. so as to get them outdoors faster ...

in other words.. deal with germination indoors.. but grow them outdoors ...

trees are very hard indoors... if you havent realized this already ...

unless you failed to mention a greenhouse???

i would also suggest you look into the right potting media ... trees might not like what other plants like .... what are you using ...

ken

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No no, it germinated last spring after it had been strarifying for 60 days. Then put them in room temp, some in the porch. I had 6 untill i lst them in the yard and didt find them until spring 2013. One survived and that is planted. I stratify my seeds indoors for the most part, in a fridge

• treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
    10 years ago

I have grown many magnolias from seed (including M. acuminata) and have also grown C. ovata from seed. The Carya I soak for 24-48 hours, discard any floaters, and then cold stratify for about 90 days in any moist medium of your choice. I have used both milled sphagnum and coconut fiber with good success. For the magnolias, I remove the fleshy colored fruit from around the seed right after harvesting, soak for 24 hours, and then put them in cold stratification right away. The most important things I have found with magnolia seed is to check for mold frequently (at least once weekly) and never let the seed dry out between collection and stratification. Some years I dip the seeds in a captan (fungicide)solution prior to stratifying. Using those methods, they come up like bean sprouts for me. I'm going to start some seed from M. stellata 'Royal Star' and 'Waterlily' this year.

• nick_b79
    10 years ago

I've grown the fringetree, cucumber magnolia and hickory from seed here in Minnesota, from Minnesota-sourced mature trees that have survived -40F in the past.

-The fringetree can be a PITA to sprout. It needs warm AND cold stratification to grow. I just planted 50 seeds in a tupperware container of peat/sand mix last week. They'll stay on top of my fridge at room temp for the next 3-4 mo, until the roots have grown sufficiently, then into cold stratification for another 2-3 months. With luck they'll sprout green shoots in early June.

-Magnolias are no problem, just remove the pulp, give them a quick wash with some water and a drop of dish soap, and stratify in peat or moist sand for 60-90 days.

-Hickories, I just plant where I want them to grow permanently, because they put down such a long damn taproot! It's no fun to transplant 6" seedlings with 12-18" carrot-roots :-(

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ive read that the fringe tree can be a pain. The same warm cold stratification process too. "easy" just a bit.... needy.

I have also read that hickories should be planted on site. The root can apparently double the above pot/ground growth. Probably a good idea to cage them so the squirrels dont get them.

Thanks for the insights