Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingo2001

Anyone growing Toona sinensis 'Flamingo' in zone 5?

Wondering if anyone in zone 5 is growing this? Saw it in another post - a pink tree!! Gotta have it if it will survive the winter. Thanks for any input!
Julie

Comments (19)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Regardless of hardiness, the spring color of Flamingo is prolonged by long cool springs as one would have in Northern Europe or in the UK.
    A typical eastern North American setting results in a 'flash in the pan'. Best color duration would be in the PNW or coastal Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland.

• blakrab Centex
    9 years ago

Just a sidenote - its leaves are used to flavor dishes in Chinese cooking and also fight cancer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Toon

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Winter climate is probably too cold.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Yep, only hardy to about 15-20F.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool link Blakrab!
    I'm seeing this listed as zone 5 hardy - Dirr says has survived -25F but Morton Arb. sees freeze damage - wondering how bad it is. (I'm in Chicagoland area) Would make sense that color is better in cooler spring weather.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

All the literature I've ever seen regarding Toona sinensis suggests -10F to -20F (including info from the Arnold). How is it Flamingo is only 15-20F or was that a mis-type?

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

A species tree (not Flamingo) of decent size (~10" dbh) in north suburb of Detroit suffered heavy dieback last winter. Lowest temp was near -20F (with many days below zero). The species is probably variable in hardiness depending on provenance, but I've never heard of a fully hardy specimen in zone 5. No experience with Flamingo.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Nope. Various sources report limited or questionable hardiness:

San Marcos Growers - 15-20 F

Another nursery source that specializes in exotics: "Young trees are hardy to about 15 degrees, but you may be able to overwinter in colder areas with protection."

And another source that while quoting -25F, had this caveat: "cold hardiness is debatable and heat tolerance is unknown"

Even Dirr - while he says it has survived -25F, he also states the Morton Arboretum reports freeze damage every winter.

I think its one of those situations like hardy eucalyptus.......it's hardy until it isn't. I'd just be prepared for some serious die back.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

This was the first winter the tree north of Detroit had heavy dieback. Most winters there's been little to no damage. My guess is that temps around -10F or below will result in noticeable injury, but regrowth is vigorous - photo taken first week of July this year.

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

In the past I thought about getting it, but the common species hasn't done well for me, so haven't tried the cultivar. If I did get it, I would make sure it was a cutting versus grafted, so has a chance to come back from the ground. In my climate though it would work for food, because I have them dieback, but put on a lot of vigorous growth.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Gardengal, I love it - it's hardy until it isn't ! I get it....
    Arbordave this last winter was a doozie -- hopefully we won't have it that bad again for a while - but that tree doesn't look SO bad, and is regrowing. I guess I will take lkz tip and look for non grafted. Grimm's had it listed but is sold out, haven't seen it anywhere else. Thinking I should wait till spring anyway!
    Julie

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

"Even" Dirr?

Huh huh huh.

• shane11
    8 years ago

I understand according to Dirr that 'flamingo' has to be grafted. Does anyone know if this is true? I have only located 1 source for this variety in the US but theirs is not grafted nonetheless they say it is the variety 'flamingo'.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    8 years ago

This link ( http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-gardening-journal/1075-toona-sinensis-flamingo ) says,

"... one reference says that 'Flamingo' is propagated by grafting, but others mention its quickness to proliferate by suckers and, hence, its ease of propagation from divisions of the clump. My own young specimen was purchased as 'Flamingo'; its profuse suckering with pink foliage produced at the tips of the suckers, too, not just from the original stem, suggests that grafting is unnecessary."

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Shane! When I was researching this I saw a bunch of different references that discussed how readily it suckered, so hopefully even if the winter knocks it back, it will grow back from the roots. I guess if you didn't want it to sucker, you would be looking for a grafted tree. If I may ask, where did you find it? I have one on order, but it will be very small! If you have a better source I'd be interested :)

Toona Sinensis 'Flamingo'

• guiru1116
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Does anyone know where to purchase one? I'd really appreciate helpful tips. I'm willing to pay or trade from anyone who would like to share. I have lots of fancy modern daylilies.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've been looking for it since seeing them as a fairly common plant in the suburbs of Melbourne, AU. Alas, no source, and the only nursery listed by UMN plantfinder says sold out. I feel like it used to be more common? I'm sure I saw it in Forestfarm's catalog back in the 1990s. Maybe it's just fallen out of fashion. ('Flamingo' I mean. The plain species is probably easy to grow from seed...maybe a little too easy...so is produced ad infinitum by some segment of the nursery industry)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Maybe try calling Secret Garden? They may not have enough to list in their online catalog, but may have a few, or may be able to suggest a source. The one I ordered last year is just beginning to bud out, so looks like it survived the winter. It was kind of small, but did well in the pot last summer.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio