Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my pin oak?

Posted by prm317 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 10:43

I have 2 pin oaks both planted at the same time 16 years ago. They about 35-40 ft apart. One retains its leaves until Late Feb/early March (as it should). The other will lose its leaves in the Fall. Also the one that loses its leaves in the fall will leaf out about 2 weeks later in the spring. This pattern has gone on as long as I can remember. Other than this the tree shows no signs of distress. Both trees after 16 years of growth are virutally the same size, both in height and width. Should I be concerned that there is something wrong with the pin oak that loses its leaves in the Fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my pin oak?

There's no problem. Just some natural variation. If you look in nature, you'll see some oak trees keep their leaves longer than others of the same species.

o

I have 2 large Pin oaks in the yard, neither one of them retains its leaves over the winter. Perhaps this is just their genetic nature, or maybe it has something to do with being in very windy locations with a northwest exposure.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 16:07

Who in their right mind would want to rake up leaves in the spring when the bulbs are coming up, or multiple times during the winter? I have no room in my garden for such a tree. It would spoil the rest of it.

o

discussed in a recent post... was genetic variation in oak tree production ...

frankly there is no way to predict what the genes are in the acorn planted ...

and though they may share leaf shape and general growth pattern and shape.. there must be something differing way deep down in the genetic code ...

if you could ID oaks that shed fall leaves.. you would begin to speculate what is in the mix

ken

o
RE: forgot

which would mean.. there is nothing wrong.. and you dont need to do anything....

ken

o

Who in their right mind would want to rake up leaves in the spring when the bulbs are coming up, or multiple times during the winter? I have no room in my garden for such a tree. It would spoil the rest of it.

LOL

o

Pin Oak has plenty of variation. My parents' large Pin Oak always shed all its leaves in the fall, while the neighbors' tree always held them green later, changed them later, and held plenty of dead ones through the winter.

Unfortunately, my parents' tree is now more than 50% infected with Xylella fastidiosa, so many of its leaves are lost long before they would normally drop :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here