Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyokie

Privacy Screen-Need Height not Width!

amyokie
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have done a fair amount of searching and have some ideas based on that, but I wanted to post with the unique challenges of my landscape to see what other creative ideas folks might have. I just bought my first house and I really love the front yard and interior. The backyard needs some help, and I'm happy that there's a least one outdoor space left that I can impact. As you can (hopefully) see from the photo, my view from my back door and patio is of the ugly garage apartment next door. The previous owners planted a row of trees along the fence, but they are not tall enough and a few of them (in the very center) are damaged/dead. I want to leave the living trees that are already there and fill in about 20 feet in the middle (taking out 2 or 3 of the not so good looking trees). My desire is to plant something that will get tall- at least 15-20 feet. I have read about Green Giants and they would do the trick, but I'm concerned about mature width. Italian cypresses would be great, but may not survive a very cold winter in OKC. I am also considering a crape myrtle framed by Juniper Skyrocket, but I'm not sure if that will give me the screen I really want. And then, there's bamboo. I've read all about it, and I would definitely choose a clumping type, but I'm having trouble pinning down a clumper that is hardy to my region and will provide the height I want. I'm also planning to landscape around the bottom of whatever I plant with ornamental grasses, etc. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated! Thank you.

Comments (5)