Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer saccharum 'Crescendo'

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 10:53

Just discovered this one - a Morton Arboretum selection. Seems to be of the same vein as Commemoration, Legacy, etc in being tough-leaved & heat/drought tolerant.

1. Has anyone planted one?
2. Has anyone seen one for sale? Seems this one is even harder to find than the Caddo maples or 'Hiawatha'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer saccharum 'Crescendo'

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 13:23

Great questions! I'm looking for info too...ecspecially fall color in the midwest.

There are quite a few 1.5" caliper b&b available at a local nusery for spring dig here.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 14:10

As is typical with shade tree cultivars most sellers that come up are wholesale ones. But there may be some retailers in there somewhere, too - I only looked at the first page.

Note cultivar is 'Morton' and not 'Crescendo'. "Crescendo" is a marketing device used to promote 'Morton', same as "RoundUp" is used to sell glyphosate formulations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bing!

o

Right - much like another A. saccharum 'Bailsta' is marketed as 'Fall Fiesta'.

Why not just make the cultivar name the same as the marketing name??

o

As I've done more research, it seems this cultivar has actually been around a while, it just hasn't been widely available.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 0:37

No quotes around 'Fall Fiesta' as it is not the cultivar. The purpose of using trademarks, registered trademarks and patented names for plant introductions is to assert control over them, in order to make more money. In Britain such terms are called "selling names", which gets right to the heart of their function. If you also manufacture a jawbreaker cultivar name to use with the selling name then that tends to reinforce the selling name, simply because the cultivar name is too hard to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here