Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

white ash vs. green ash....

Our white ash is quite a contrast with the green ash trees of neighbours on either side. The neighbour to the south's tree has been badly hit by EAB and also has some long-standing rot in the trunk. I was surprised that it leafed out at all this spring, although the leaves were sparse and sickly. I am increasingly worried that this one will come down on our house if the wind is southerly when it inevetably falls! I stay out of the room I'm in at the moment whenever it is windy since this is the room it would fall on when it comes down... The neighbour on the north side also has a sick green ash. They had it treated a couple of years ago so it's doing a bit better than the one on the south side but is still pretty unhappy-looking. Our white ash had a few marks on the trunk this spring, showing signs of EAB, but not nearly to the extent of what can be seen on the green ash trees. We had ours treated last year. I think the green ashes always lost their leaves first in the fall so these pictures from this morning sort of exaggerate the situation a bit I think but you can see the state of things when everything was green in the August picture. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out....

From this morning:

South neighbour's ash and ours:
{{gwi:452294}}

Trunk of south neighbour's ash - picture taken though the (dirty!) window:
{{gwi:452295}}

Our ash and the north neighbour's:
{{gwi:452296}}

The same trees in August (you have to look hard to see the south one....):
{{gwi:265289}}

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out....

===>>> whats the interesting part?????

they will all die .. subject to your checkbooks tolerance of supporting a lost cause ....

in the meantime.. i suggest you plant some replacement trees ...

thx for the pix.. and the interesting observations.... i have lost too many to wax poetic about it ....

ken

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Driving along, the ashes around here are in full color or already nearly bare. They contribute a lot to the early part of fall foliage season.

EAB has been spotted in MD in the county adjacent to mine, but appears so far to have not gotten a big foothold yet.

When I drove out to Ohio last spring, the devastation was rampant - in some areas 30% of the trees were dead, all ash.

• olreader
    10 years ago

I just planted my first tree this year and I am paying a lot more attention to the fall colors in my suburban neighborhood and surrounding countryside in the Denver area.

I think most of the fall color around here comes from three kinds of trees:
    cottonwoods
    green ash
    white ash

everything else contributes much less for several reasons, mainly fewer trees, also smaller trees, trees stay in color for shorter period of time, duller color:
    honeylocust
    linden
    aspen
    maples
    crabapple/apple/pear/plum/cherry
    hackberry
    oaks

Did I leave anything major out?

I like my white ash when it starts to turn orange, the earlier purple color isn't so interesting to me. Overall the green ashes have a brighter color (yellow) and they can be taller and maybe there are more of them, so I think they contribute more.

And seeing the ashes in the fall makes me realize what a large percentage of the trees here are ashes. I wonder what will replace the ashes here in Colorado?

(edited to add linden to list of minor trees)

This post was edited by olreader on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 17:57

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken - yes, I have been planting other trees on the assumption that sooner-or-later (likely sooner!) the ash will die - either from old age or EAB. DH insisted on treating it; I was prepared to let 'nature take its course'. What will be interesting to see is how much longer the ash survives after the green ashes succumb - they certainly seem to be going first! There is a reasonable-sized red oak in the backyard and two middle-aged white pines, so the loss of the ash won't totally remove the shade canopy, but it will certainly affect the scene, particularly in the fall, for a long time! The trees I've been planting so far are all smaller ornamental types as a substitute 'generational' tree needs to go roughly in the area where the ash is now so can't be planted until the ash dies. At that point I may reasses the design for the backyard as a whole so may not want another tree in that spot. We shall see.......

• drrich2
    10 years ago

Is there any reason to believe anything will contain the spread of EAB? I heard there's research on some parasitic wasp, if memory serves, but that would just reduce numbers, not wipe them out.

I'm wondering if we should take it on faith that the overwhelming probability is that the EAB WILL sweep across the entire continental U.S., subject to whatever temp. tolerance restriction it may face up north, and effectively wipe out the vast majority of native ash trees (at least green & white)?

The reason I ask is, there are large sections of the U.S. where EAN isn't yet present. For that matter, at the house we bought, there's what's thought to be an ash tree (likely green ash), maybe 20 - 25 feet tall or so. Pretty tree. I wonder whether I should cut it down.

Richard.

• jdo053103
    10 years ago

I have few white ash on my property, do not plan on cutting down until they are infected. EAB just made it's way to a couple NC counties on the VA border this spring. I never cut a tree down unless I have to.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I had three white ash growing over my home. One NEEDED to come down. Another with a stupid water gathering fork that imitated or caused a bacterial wet wood condition probably needed to and the last was just reaching entirely over my house so the first sign of structural defeciency had me get it removed.

EAB approaching made the decision easier. I have another big one and a smaller one that I pre treated this year and will continue to just so I can say I tried. Maybe by the time they pass the scarlet oak, nyssa nd metasequoia will have enough size to give a good fall effect.

Man them living baseball bat wooded ash trees looked GREAT in the fall :(

What is EAB's climate range in China or wherever?

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Ash is top notch for fall color around here.

Its going to be devasting if EAB spreads throughout WI. The number of native Ash in the kettle moraine forest, street streets and yard trees is absolutely staggering.

Olreader,
    Do you have Cottonwood (Populus deltoides) and Aspen Populus tremuloides) mixed up?
    Cottonwood has the most dreaded fall color here year after year and I'm surrounded by them. They are an unbelievable waste of space IMO.

• olreader
    10 years ago

I could be wrong about any of my IDs, I will start another post about cottonwoods. Thinking about it again, ashes must be the most commonly planted tree here by far. What I am calling green ash turns bright yellow and some of them are quite a bit taller than two story houses. What I am calling white ash has a rounder shape and most of them are shorter, they turn purple towards the top, and then the colors lighten to red and orange later in the season. It seems like half of the big deciduous trees in town could be ashes, probably it's less.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

You're right on, Fraxinus americana or white ash has that amazing two tone color which causes that glowing effect. I sometimes wonder if this tree truly is the king of fall color.

Fraxinus pennsylvanica or green ash is well known for its very good yellow color. Its rare that this one disappoints to.

The majority of both of these species are defoliated in my area but some are just past peak.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Research and anecdotal evidence suggests that Green Ash is preferentially selected by EAB and/or is quicker to show EAB damage. On healthy mature trees, the decline of White Ash versus adjacent Green Ash translates into 1-3 extra years.

Good on you for having it treated! Beautiful tree and remember to get it treated again next year.

This post was edited by smivies on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 14:34

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

Smivies brings up a good point - of the native ash species, both green ash and black ash succumb relatively quickly, while white ash can hang on for a few years before it is completely killed. It appears that blue ash, on the other hand, may have enough resistance to survive EAB.

Researchers have crossed native ash species with Asian ash species in an effort to breed resistance into the natives. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: breeding for EAB resistance

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

EAB does not seem to have made it to the central part of Texas.
    Hope we can maintain that in the years ahead.