Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Sycamore (London Plane Tree)

mary_max
10 years ago

This tree is about ten years old and it is around 50 feet tall now. It is 30 feet from corner of house. Probably ten to twelve feet from sideway and street. Is this going to present a problem later on? Roots size etc. Should it come down?

Comments (5)

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

My guess is that if it hasn't become a problem for the sidewalks or street yet, then it will not in the future. I wouldn't worry about the house either. You should be good.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i grew up on a street lined by sycamore ... i dont know the latin on those ... they are still there ...

after about 40 years.. all the sidewalks have all popped ...

no impact on streets ...

no idea on old clay pipe sewer service ... we have maples.. and they are horrible in the sewer lines ... never interviewed the neighbors ....

they shed bazillions of small twigs.. but are pretty sturdy ... not many large limbs dropped ...

the seed pods can be a nightmare in mast years.. as the cars pulverize them into lung choking dust ...

i hate them .... but yours sounds rather reasonably sited ...

its up to your whim.. whether you get rid of it ...

ken

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I don't live where there are sidewalks and power lines everywhere, but in some neighborhoods, the utilities will chop the head off your tree where it is close to power lines. When your tree looks like it will soon touch the power-lines, you may need someone to prune around the lines, or the utilities may chop the head off your tree on the offending side. A good arborist should be able to prune back to the right area to help avoid the branches from touching the wires. And at the same time not causing weak sprouts to uglify your tree.

• calliope
    10 years ago

The London Plane is a hybrid off the sycamore and oriental plane tree and is considered a first-rate urban tree, used very often for lining streets and parking lot islands. Oregon.gov urban forests says is widely considered to
    be the worldâÂÂs most reliable city tree. They are wind resistant and also pollution resistant. I planted one perhaps ten years ago and it gets prettier every year. Love the bark. Nice tree.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

having followed mary.. thru a half dozen of these forums... and enjoying the heck out of helping her ...

i was trying to question her ID ..

mary.. do you know for a fact this is a plane ....???

it matters.. when you compare... calliopes answer with mine ...

pic of the leaves.. the bark and the whole.. might get you an ID ... so we can be sure we are all talking about the same tree ...

as i said.. i dont know the latin on the ones i grew up with ... we just called them sycamores .... since we moved in t here in 1965 and dad was no botanist ...... they were planted when the sub was built in 1958 or so ... so they would not be any fancy hybrid.. developed since ...

regardless.. i still maintain.. its not in a bad place ... according to your words ....

ken