Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daybreak Magnolia Seed

Posted by leaflover76 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 11:50

I planted a Daybreak Magnolia last year. Its a stunning Magnolia from the flower to the leaf. Out walking in the garden this morning I noticed seeds on it. Sooo.. can I do anything with these? Are they viable? I would love to get another Daybreak. Here's photos of my beauty.

flower in spring
 photo DSCF7086.jpg

foliage in September
Magnolia - Daybreak photo DSCF9292.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daybreak Magnolia Seed

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 13:58

Don't count on them coming up 'Daybreak'. Some may resemble it, none will be the exact same clone. To get germination, as with many other cold climate plants you will have to give the seeds cold storage before they are able to sprout. Do a web search for growing magnolias from seed to help you decide if it is something you want to fiddle with.

o
RE: Daybreak Magnolia Seed

if daybreak ... is propagated thru grafting .. then there is your answer ..

why go thru all that... if you could grow billions by seed ..

regardless.. research D's parents... and you will be able to guess as to seed results.. e.g. if they crossed a dominant red.. with a white ... to get a pink .... and this is all guessing.. just to give you an idea ... you MIGHT get 75% red ... 23 % white ... and 2 pink ...

but then there would be the regression of mom and dads shape.. form.. size ... vigor.. etc ...

bottom line.. the odds of you getting anything that looks like D ... is frankly.. low to nil ... besides having to grow it for 5 years before it flowers ...

but then.. there is that one in a million chance.. you might end up with the next brightest star ...

go for it ... i learned a vast majority of my knowledge.. by experimenting ...

and your first step.. would be to research how to grow trees in pots ... and that is not as simple as annuals and perennials ... starting.. most importantly.. with potting media ...

you got nothing to lose ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here