Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Chestnut encounters

Posted by mazewalker NY (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 11:51

Hi all,

While I was hiking two weeks ago I came across a littering of Chestnut seeds on the ground up on a ridge in Harriman State Park. Not knowing much about chestnuts except that there are some saplings that grow from old root systems, we bemoaned that their aren't more of these trees, marveled at their crazy thorny seed pods and went on our way (taking only the attached picture of the tree).

I expect that the tree is nothing out of the ordinary, but I wanted to ask some experts what I should seek to observe in order to confirm that fact. The reason I wonder is because most sites seem to say that the remaining Chestnuts seem to be saplings that grow from old stumps/root systems and die before getting too tall/sexual maturity, and this tree doesn't seem to fit that description.
1) there's no sign whatsoever that it is growing from an old stump,
2) it is at least 30 feet tall,
3) its bark looked perfectly smooth (and therefore presumably healthy) and
4) it produced a lot of seed-pods (though these were all already looted by animals and a few pods contained underdeveloped chestnuts).

I'll be hiking the same trail this weekend; any thing in particular that I should look for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Chestnut encounters

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 14:21

Could grow for some time yet in that location and then get nailed by the blight anyway. Way to test it would be to graft from it and then see how the resulting plants fared elsewhere, in the known presence of blight.

o

You might be able to contact the ACF (American Chestnut Foundation) or ACCF (American Chestnut Cooperators' Foundation) to see if they'd be interested in doing what bboy suggested.

o

ACF might be able to help you ID the species for sure, and they could maybe use the pollen

http://www.acf.org/FAQ.php

see question #6.

Undeveloped nuts might be unfertilized - it takes two castanea trees to make babies! Are there other trees around?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here