Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eterprincess

Looking for help choosing a tree

eterprincess
9 years ago

My husband and I are considering planting a second shade tree. Our backyard is 40wx140L, the only tree that we currently have is one oak tree that is easily 60 feet tall at the moment at the far end of the property, next to the back street. We are trying to figure out a good tree, maybe small to medium size, to plant a little closer to the house. We are in Central New Jersey.

Do y'all have any recommendations? I am attaching a pic of the yard from the back.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont understand the pic.. it looks like your yard is completely paved ... and the neighbor has a big tree ... care to clarify.. what i am seeing???

unless that is your yard beyond the gate/fence?????

or is that your house way out back???

and why is the big tree.. up close.. described as way out back ....

is that parking apron what you are calling the back street ... perhaps it deadends right there????

and ... what do you mean.. by a small to medium tree???? ... just so we get talking in the same ballpark ....

ken

• User
    9 years ago

Maybe something to provide season color...a dogwood, deciduous Magnolia. Japanese maples do quite well here and fall color is terrific. Or, would you prefer an evergreen of some kind?

Japanese Maple below is a a Bloodgood and leaves will become crimson red in November.

• eterprincess
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My yard is what is behind the fence. Thats our little paved parking lot at the very back of the property. The house in the background is my house

• eterprincess
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the view from right behind the back of the house. We have a double lot, separated by a chain link fence that the previous owner put in to keep his dog in a separate area.

• eterprincess
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prefer something with color and for shade, most of the evergreens that I know of reach to the ground and aren't really shade trees.

We are considering dogwood, maple, purple plum, but dont know what all goes in this area and given the space, what would be best.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wow ... glad i asked.. lol ..

forget purple plum.. if you get 10 to 15 years out of them you are lucky ..... they tend to die thereafter ... suffering from gummosis and black knot ... and they arent going to be making shade you can sit under ....

i dont tend to think of dogwood as shade trees ... but perhaps it would be more aggressive in your area ...

if speed is of the essence ... as in you want shade within the next decade .... ... then.. i hate to say it.. lol... maple is probably a way to go ... but being a hater.. i dont know what to suggest ... i dont like them.. because i shade garden.. and maples.. among others ... are not cooperative ...

but it doesnt look like you are a gardener.. so maple it can be ... though many oaks grow just as fast .... and i prefer those .....

ken

• eterprincess
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Working on a garden, this is how we purchased the house, putting in some perennials which is now on hold until we figure out the tree thing since gm different flowers tolerate different shade levels.

We were considering the red maple, seems to do well in our area

• eterprincess
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a local nursery recommends:
    Yoshino cherry

Red sunset maple

River birch

Redbud

any advice on these?

Thanks!