Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Thoughts on Prunus sargentii

whaas_5a
10 years ago

I typically try to stay away from all Prunus but sargentii appears to be longer lived and more resistant to the pests and diseases plagued by other Prunus.

I like that it has blooms, bark interest and fall color. My yard lacks small blooming ornamentals so thinking about trying one of its cultivars.

Comments (9)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

That's one of my old time favorites.

Do you already have stewartia's?

Dax

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't tried stewartia because of its borderline hardiness and soil ph of 7.3. Have sandy soil too so it tends to try out quick. I've been watching out for 2 or 3 gallon plants for a nice price but haven't found one yet.

I had three rhodies that I planted spring of 2011. I went to transplant one this past spring and noticed it was popping right out of the soil. Thing didn't put out a single root into the native soil. Checked out the other two and it was like pulling the plant out of its pot. I'm shocked they are even alive.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Toss some granular sulfur around those plants occasionally. That's all you have to do.

I'd look at Woodlanders Nursery, whaas. They have a Cherry hybrid that is sharp and I know they have stewartia's too. Great prices. There's a minimum but It may only be 30 bucks.

Here I'll link ya to this Cherry.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlanders Nursery

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, never heard of em. Nice selection of species plants...good prices too!

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Okame' is common and has been much discussed on GW. In my area it is a dog, due to disease but people in hot eastern climates seem to do better with it.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Thanks for that info. Ron.

Yeah whaas. They're a good nursery. Starhill has a lot of plants purchased from them (including their stewartia's.) He grows pseudocamellia and monadelpha. Both were purchased from Woodlanders a decade or more ago. I was hoping they had monadelpha but I guess they aren't carrying it right now.

Dax

• arbordave (SE MI)
    10 years ago

Whaas,
    I really like Sargent cherry and wish I could find them grown on their own roots - many of the Sargent cherries I've seen have rootstock issues - large swellings at the graft union, suckering, and (over time) decline of the crown. They don't seem to be very compatible with the rootstock being used - not sure why growers aren't using something else for the understock, or growing them from seed or cuttings.
    "Pink Flair" is a relatively new variety that I've seen at a few nurseries. It also seems to have a tendency to sucker from the rootstock on the few plants I've observed.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I might try one from woodlanders in spring. Too late to plant here in my area now.

Low for the next 10 days straight is anywhere from low 20s to upper 20s.

Dave,
    Pink Flair is one of the varieties I was looking to try.
    I'm going to call to find out if its grafted or not as I know the source...although there is a 99% chance its grafted.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Page with links to fact sheets on four USNA flowering cherries. Ignore the 'Abigail Adams' as that will be tender and as it says on the sheet they are offering it for hybridization purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboretum Plant Introductions & Releases

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting