Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oh42

Tree id

oh42
9 years ago

What is this tree? It is almost as common as the live oak.

Comments (15)

• oh42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And these large ones always seems broken:

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Ulmus parvifolia? ...commonly known as the Chinese Elm or Lacebark Elm.

How about a shot of the bark and tree?

• oh42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@dave_in_nova: i will try to get the trunk / bark picture, i don't have these close by to where I live. For lack of better description the bark is gray and very rough somewhat like the cottonwood tree.

Looking at bark pictures for Chinese Elm or Lacebark Elm - i don't think it is one of those.

• salicaceae
    9 years ago

Definitely a willow - most likely a hybrid.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Just to clarify, the Elm is the top picture, the willow the second one. I'd agree with both ids.

• oh42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes top is cedar elm and second is willow - that aligns with the descriptions on the internet. thanks!

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Here's Chinese elm after a mere 10 seasons. The leaves are small like a cedar elm but not as rounded as those you show. The small trees behind turning reddish are baldcypresses:

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Yes, cedar elm is a common native in the Dallas area. Does the willow flower? Not sure from photo that leaves are desert willow (chilopsis linearis), but it is another west Texas native commonly grown in DFW and often broken by the occasional ice storms.

• oh42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the bark of the first picture (elm)

• oh42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the tree of the leaves in the first picture

• oh42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@bostedo no idea if it flowers. What time of year is it supposed to do that? I can watch out and see.

• dricha
    9 years ago

Typically, the willows(Salix) in north Texas are going to be weeping willow, globe willow and the native black willow. None of them live very long and have a host of problems.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

From the Silvics Manual:

Cedar elm flowers from August to September and fruit ripens from September to October. However, flowering dates have been reported as early as July and fruiting as late as November. When flowers appear in August, fruit ripens in September, and then a second flowering and fruiting may occur in October and November, respectively.

Interesting. Cedar elm looks similar to Chinese elm and even blooms late in the season like Chinese elm. My Chinese elm also had a brief second-flush of flowers this yr, announced by the buzzing of honeybees.

9 years ago

Desert willow blooms summer/fall depending upon rains, so probably not Chilopsis if you've not noticed flowers already. Suggested it because it is probably planted more frequently in DFW these days than real willows (Salix) for the reasons Dricha mentioned, its low water use, and the flowers. Leaves very similar to willow, but not sure same as yours. Will try to get a photo tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Willow / Flowering Willow (Chilopsis linearis)

9 years ago

Margins on the desert willow leaves are smooth, so definitely not what you have. Focus on yesterday's photos was poor, but found one at the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:453673}}