Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbansuburban_gw

Moving Trees (and House) Over Winter

UrbanSuburban
9 years ago

Hello all.

This is my first post here, but I've searched the GW forums extensively as I (novice) built my backyard garden in the city over the past few years. So thanks to all the frequent posters here for all your help across the tree forums and gardening forums in general.

I am 'movin' on up' to the suburbs, and have a few trees and shrubs I'd like to bring with me. The difficulty is that the move in date will be early to mid-December (zone 6B - 7A, 40 miles north of NYC).

The trees have been in the ground for two years, give or take. At least one winter. None are particularly large, six-foot at best, and only the magnolia has really spread well.

(In my current research I also came across this thread http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg0317000013659.html?17 that has me re-thinking my planting strategies when the time comes. Very interesting.)

I also have some newer (fruit) trees in containers that I am taking.

Options are:

- dig up immediately before move, move, and plant within a week;

- dig up now and wrap to allow to 'harden' or acclimate to a burlap wrap or container, then plant either immediately following move (early Dec); or

- dig up now, and plant springtime.

Springtime planting would be most convenient as I'll have a better idea of where I want to put things and I need to do some work removing existing trees, landscaping, etc. over the winter / early spring. Not to mention we have no idea what early to mid-Dec could look like and there's a chance the ground will be on its way to frozen.

In this case I'd put the trees somewhere out of the wind and wrap in burlap / leaves / bubblewrap (? seriously, I saw this on here, and I have lots of bubblewrap) and try to keep somewhat insulated from freezing. Or even bury temporarily in the ground (in the containers / burlap). I understand an un-heated garage isn't the best (too dark and cold?).

I did some searching on the forums, and among many helpful threads I found - http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tips/msg0111151726762.html?5

I welcome your thoughts on timing all this. Perhaps I'm over thinking things but I'd like to be successful.

The trees in question are:

Dogwood
Magnolia
Franklin tree
Japanese Snowbell
Some sort of ornamental lilac bush (different from tree)
Some other misc perennial shrubs, maybe rhododendron, couple roses, etc. I do want to leave some stuff for the next inhabitants though.

A picture of the dogwood and magnolia (eh, pictures too big, but we're talking about fairly small trees here, juveniles).

I appreciate your thoughts. If I should be digging these up and allowing to acclimate before they go dormant then I'll get started this weekend.

Thanks,
UrbanSuburban

Comments (20)

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Digging them up immediately before the move is the best strategy. Less ways to mess it up. Storing a large tree can go wrong. December is a bit late to plant trees, but in Zone 7 you have a decent chance of the ground NOT being frozen. One catch is I heard magnolia don't like Fall/Winter planting. Expect there to be some casualties.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I'm sure you'll get some responses as to the best way to accomplish your intentions but my question would be why bother?

First, selling a home includes everything that is in the landscape as well, unless your sales contract specifies certain plants that are excluded. Second, moving is such a busy and stressful activity anyway, so why add to the burden? And finally, mid-December in your area is about the worst time to consider moving/transplanting relatively established trees and shrubs, especially if you plan on/need to wait until to spring to plant.

Providing your sales agreement even allows it, most would suggest you leave everything in situ other than plants that are extremely rare or have great sentimental attachment. Can't speak to the sentiment, but the trees and shrubs are not particularly rare and could be easily replaced. And a new landscape may very well call for a new plant selection as well.

Containerized plants are different - considered 'furnishings' rather than 'fixtures' - but will need some sort of winter protection as well in your climate. Maybe that's enough to worry about?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you are focused too much on dormancy ... its just not a relevant issue in my mind ...

you biggest concern is the media in the pots ... dirt may or may not work ....

do you have any place... you could just put them.. so as to not be a moving issue ... as you are really complicating a house moving .... somewhere to just store them until next april ...???

is there snow cover in your area .... its the best and easiest insulator ...

winter storage would be to keep the black pots out of sunshine ... so the media stays cold ....

the real key is: GET THEM DORMANT.. AND KEEP THEM DORMANT ...

if at any time during the winter.. the pots heat up.... and they start to come out of dormancy.. that will be when you trouble starts ...

where are you more specifically [and do you look like george jefferson???]... is there constant snow cover ... i dont know NYC well enough .... to understand .... does the ground freeze????

perhaps i am presuming a colder zone ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• UrbanSuburban
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response! You guys bring up good points, BUT:

- I currently rent, and planted these trees with the understanding I'd be taking them with me. Moving them really isn't a hassle. And moving itself won't be stressful or complicated - I don't have much else in my one BR apt!

- Some have sentimental value (wedding gifts), but more importantly, they won't last long in their current location as they will get too big and be too much maintenance and come up against stone walls and wooden fences.

So it looks like the consensus is leave them in ground as long as possible? No need to transfer to containers before winter?

I'm trying to resize some photos so you can get an idea of what we're talking about here.

Dogwood & Magnolia:

Japanese Snowbell:

Nothing bigger than these.

• UrbanSuburban
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snowbell.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Ahhh! Renting makes a difference :-) As does the size of the plants in question. Still not sure I'd bother about the rose......but that's your choice.

I garden in a substantially different climate, but if I were contemplating a winter move, I'd dig up the plants as soon as they entered dormancy (lost their leaves) and store them until the move date. I also would not worry about specific potting media (or pots, for that matter) but just dig them out of the soil with the full rootball as intact as possible and put them into large garbage bags. For a temporary storage solution, these are ideal - no need to find an appropriately sized container or mess with potting soil. And if soil is properly hydrated at the time of digging, little concern for a lot of additional watering through the winter. Just make sure a small hole or two in the bag for drainage if watering does become necessary.

If the plants are out of the ground you will need to address winter storage and freezing concerns. Roots tend to be more vulnerable to cold damage than topgrowth and without the insulation provided by the ground's soil mass, you'll need to accommodate that concern. If you group all the trees together and surround with bales of straw (commonly available at this time year for harvest decor), you should be OK. If the temperatures drop radically, you can use whatever additional insulation you can muster - bubble wrap, space blankets, etc. Do the same thing after the move until weather warms/planting time.

• UrbanSuburban
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GG - thanks again. Yeah, the rose and everything else stays, just taking the trees (was only pic I had on hand).

I'll wait for the leaves to fall, perhaps see if a couple trees can go in the ground in December, and a couple in spring. Hedge my bets, so to speak.

I'll report back!

Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Well, there ya go! Give it a try but realize it may not go 100% as hoped. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :-))

• j0nd03
    9 years ago

When you get them to the new house, you can temporarily plant them all together to hold over until spring when you have determined where everything is to be planted.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Where is the new house?

The city is a solid zone 7. During a remotely normal winter the ground only freezes sporadically. However, depending on exactly how far north, and exactly how high up, things can get a lot colder very quickly. So while digging the trees up is probably not going to be a problem, digging holes to plant them might be.

9 years ago

no place to store them NOW .... for winter... no local friends.. family.. etc???

ken

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

One tip often recommended here (your climate may be different! ) is to pre-dig the plant you are going to move--take a nice sharp shovel and dig around it to cut the roots you have to cut to get it out, but then leave it where it is for a while to recover a bit before the actual move. This reduces stress on the plant because it suffers two traumas (1. root cutting 2. moving) at different times, rather than all at once.

Now again, this may not be recommended for your climate. It is something that works here.

• User
    9 years ago

I think the problem is the time of year of your move in date.

When I moved, I took some of my shrubs and trees with me...one Southern Magnolia, Aucuba japonica, hostas, bamboos, Yuccas, and iris with me. Must have had them all containerized in late Autumn...hate procrastinating. Overwintered them in the containers outside. I moved here on the first day of Spring, and was transplanting from Spring into Summer of that year. All survived.
    (It was a normal Winter w.o. polar vortices btw.)

• UrbanSuburban
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to post an update and a thank you for all the advice. Moving was a giant pain in the neck (you guys were right on that), in the face of some rough weather, cold, flooding rains and snow, multiple trips back and forth into metro NYC with the U-Haul..... We also got our closing delayed a little bit. So these guys endured a stressful move but are hopefully not much worse for wear. Rootballs intact, no major breakage.

They did spend some time out and exposed, in burlap and plastic, but we didn't have any really sustained periods of freezing, and now I got them barricaded and insulated (leaves) so we'll see how they all do.

Thanks again for everyone's help and I'll report back in the spring.

One further question, these are currently located in a convenient spot for me, but it is south facing and gets morning sun. Some subsequent reading is leading me to believe I might be better to move the operation to a north facing side of the garage to avoid bigger temp swings. Or am I overthinking things?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I only spotted this thread now.
    " And finally, mid-December in your area is about the worst time to consider moving/transplanting relatively established trees and shrubs, especially if you plan on/need to wait until to spring to plant. "

No, mid spring to late summer would be much worse. You can just never predict when there will be a long stretch of 90s. It can happen in May for cryin out loud, even as far north as NYC. For generally hardy plants, winter is fine as long as you can keep them from drying out. Fall is best for most things.

Yes, it would have been better to put them on a north wall. But I think they are probably fine as long as we don't have a repeat of last winter. Fingers crossed.

9 years ago

Moving was a giant pain in the neck (you guys were right on that),

==>> bazinga on that ... lol ...

the key to success is GET THEM DORMANT.. KEEP THEM DORMANT ....

you issue is keeping them dormant.. until the END of winter ...

on the south side.. a few warm sunny days in a row.. and you might break dormancy ...

so yes,,, do it.. out back.. in full shade of the house .. so they hold dormancy.. later into spring ...

there is no need for convenience.. as dormant plants.. with pots protected from the wind.. like you have.. should need nothing from you ...

put a few ice cubes or snowballs on each pot.. if they seem like there are drying... the plant does not need water.. but we dont want the media going bone dry ...

the hard parts over.. now the worse part.. waiting to see if they live.. and it was worth it ... lol ... and thats going to be a few long months ...

ken

• UrbanSuburban
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moved. Added bonus - there are nice little habitat for my new pets.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Well done and here's hoping for full leaf out come spring! Looks like they're getting a nice new home.

Barb

• cottage_cheese_z6ny
    8 years ago

Hey all, just wanted to update and thank everyone again for all the advice. I moved 11 trees and a few shrubs and so far (knock on wood) it looks like we've only lost one! I think the combination of excellent snow cover and solid cold all year and a very slow and late spring helped out. Still getting the last few in the ground, but all are leafing out nicely. Moving them around to the shade side of the garage was also key, thanks for motivating me to do that. That spot (above pic) is such that the morning sun doesn't hit it until maybe mid-March. The snow and ice cover stayed here longer than anywhere else. But once it hit, look out, those plants woke up in a hurry and were raring to get in the ground.

The only loss was a pawpaw. It was in the smallest container, and really never looked great even before the move. If I had to lose one, it's the one I'm least bummed about. I am gonna stick it somewhere just in case though.

It was also great to have some stuff ready to go, as the neighbors watched me move in and almost immediately start slashing and burning (no one wants to cut down trees to plant more, but we're talking about Norway maples and dead / hollow locusts towering over the garage, so they had to go). Anyway it was good to have sort of a symbolic peace offering that announced I wasn't going to pave the woods in concrete or anything.

They still think I'm weird for leaving snags... but I have pileated woodpeckers and flying squirrels and all kinds of cool stuff back here!

Over the next several years I'll be further thinning things out and adding other things. Thinking about a nice 'screen' of mountain laurel and rhodies going up the hill here (my yard is on the right, neighbor on the left, road at top of hill in back behind the MOUNTAIN of wood chips).

At the top of this hill in the middle it flattens out quite nicely and has a great vantage point. Thinking of something majestic to overlook the yard. Ken - scarlet oak?

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, and happy spring to all.

(PS had to create a new name when Houzz took over).

8 years ago

congrats ....

ken

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor