Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

If you live in a rural area, protect your young trees from voles

ilovemytrees
9 years ago

Whatever you do, don't leave your young trees unprotected. Voles will devour them undercover of the snow. The only thing that you can truly count on is 1/4 inch hardware cloth fencing, buried underground, around your tree.

This year I'm wrapping my trees with tree wrap, then aluminum window screen, and finally, Jobe's plastic trunk protectors over it all. Everything will be surrounded by buried hardware cloth fencing.

If you live in a rural area the only way to deal with voles is exclusion. You will never be able to kill all of them. Maybe an outdoor cat could, but leaving a cat outdoors all winter, in our area, is inhumane.

Comments (10)

• sparky_10
    9 years ago

Thank you for this info! It answers part of what I'm asking about in my question about my baby apple tree. I know I have moles, and assume there are voles as well.

I handle the mole problem with chewing gum. They eat it, thinking it's a worm (I guess), and it doesn't digest. They die unseen. Wonder if it is working on the voles too?

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Voles are a major problem over here, but I have no problems on my property. I think the stoats feed on them and I have plenty of those around.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Sparky, moles will not eat chewing gum. Why would an intelligent animal with an extraordinary sense of smell even be attracted to such a foreign substance? Mole control is subject to lots of old husband's tales.....wishful thinking because they are a challenge to get rid of.

Sounds like a good protection plan, ilmt. Good luck!

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Mass trap them. Those easy set plastic kill traps with a dab of peanut butter gets them every time. Around here the population varies...some years are horrible, some i hardly see any.

• sparky_10
    9 years ago

Rhizo, what you say makes total sense to me. More so, really, than thinking a mole is that stupid. But I tell you ~ somehow it works. I have very few moles anymore. They stop burrowing after I put out the gum.

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

Voles don't only live in rural areas. In central CA they were also in the newly planted suburban areas. Or were the people in the voles back yard. Hum.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

As the tree grows, hardware cloth, buried underground around the base of a tree, would be likely to lead to failure of the tree as the near-surface roots (the majority of the root system) would be girdled by the wire. Hardware cloth is probably a good idea for protecting herbaceous perennials from voles, but is NOT a good idea for trees.

• ilovemytrees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's why I said "young trees".

Bigger trees don't need any protection from voles.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

I guess I don't understand what you are doing with the hardware cloth then. I pictured you putting it around the tree and burying it at least a couple of inches into the soil. BUT, if you did that, it wouldn't be long until you couldn't remove it without damaging all the roots that had grown through it. I guess you could make a giant ring around part of your yard (nowhere near the tree), with hardware cloth, but that would probably be pretty expensive.

• terrene
    9 years ago

Castor oil solution works great for voles. Several winters ago, the voles were on a rampage in my front gardens (where the cat doesn't really hunt). I lost a ton of perennials and bulbs and even watched 1/2 of my large butterfly bush blow across the front yard after the voles had eaten away 1/2 the root system. This continued into the Spring as I watched my native hyacinth started from seed (!) wither one by one.

So I was desperate and mixed up this solution I read about on the Hosta forum, 1 TBS castor oil and 1 cup human urine per gallon of water. (Don't ask me exactly what the urine is for although it does make a good fertilizer...) It was a miracle - the last 2 Camassia scilloides were instantly spared, no more vole damage to any of the plants treated, and the plants were completely unaffected.

I sprinkle this solution around the roots of susceptible plants every fall since. It is very sticky, lasts for months, and apparently is quite unpalatable to the voles.