Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltldmon

Oak tree with odd growth

LTLDMON
9 years ago

I just bought a 85+ year old home, and it has a few oak trees on the property but one doesn't look quite right. Can this tree be saved? Or is this bad news?

Comments (13)

• LTLDMON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo, these branches go all the way up the tree.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

well.... pix arent great ...

but you would start.. by buying a tree pruning saw.. and properly pruning off all that HORRIBLE pruning ... never leave a stub ... crikey.. in this case.. they left foot long stubs ...

at least.. in this case... based on these pix.. i do NOT see where they have started rot ...

i really dont see anything threatening this tree... other than the person who cut improperly ... and they are long gone...

a saw.. SIMILAR to the one at the link ... i find them for around $15 at tractor supply ... a typical carpenters saw will not work .... properly ...

i dont recognize this as an oak ... so maybe its a live oak ... otherwise... an ID might help.. but it wont change pruning rules ... of which you can google such ... if no one here has a link for you .... pruning is pruning ... the ID is not relevant to proper pruning ....

timing of pruning.. may be an issue... and i would defer to those who know FL and this tree ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• LTLDMON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know they are not the greatest photos... But what is happening is there are branches growing on the tree that don't match the the bark and leaves of the rest of the tree... they were growing all around the base originally from those huge growths. But they also go all the way up the trees.

• saccharum
    9 years ago

I could be wrong, but the tree in question looks more like a camphor tree (Cinnamomum camphora) than an oak. A shot of the leaves would settle that.

That sort of sprouting at the base can be a sign of stress, or it can happen for a variety of other reasons. I wouldn't assume that the tree is dying unless there are other symptoms. But I would agree with Ken that there is apparently a history of sloppy pruning.

• LTLDMON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a shot of the leaves and berries(?)

• saccharum
    9 years ago

Yup, that's a camphor. Pretty common, and unfortunately invasive.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Perhaps a vine that's climbing the tree?

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

This is based more on the description then the picture...but if the branches coming from the base don't match the ones on the top, could that sounds like a graft to me.

Also possible a smaller tree grew into the larger tree and kind of merged...I've seen that happen.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

This is based more on the description then the picture...but if the branches coming from the base don't match the ones on the top, could that sounds like a graft to me.

Also possible a smaller tree grew into the larger tree and kind of merged...I've seen that happen.

• saccharum
    9 years ago

The difference in bark appearance (between fast-growing younger sprouts and the older main stem) is normal for camphor tree.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

From the pictures it appears you have a lot in the built up area, possible less than 3/4 acres. If so I would highly recommend you buy a 14" electric Chain saw. (12" are just to small)

The electric chain saw will give you the ability to cut those growths from the tree. It will give you the ability to clean up the small trees that appear on the property, and the limbs when they come down in a storm.

The beauty of the electric chain saw is that it can sit in the shed unused for long periods of time, When you need it you take it to the tree and make the cuts. No fussing with mixing fuel or starting a gas saw that has not been used for a long period.

I have used a 14" chain saw to take down some large trees. One that came down in a hurricane was about 28" at the base where I cut it off. Within the length of the cord it performs as good as its gas cousins.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i had an electric one for one season ... until i burned out its PLASTIC gears ... lol ... and i was on a 50 foot deep lot ... electric cords can become problematic ...

regardless ..... there is nothing in these pix.. that require power ... other than the proper saw ...

ken

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

I have had the opposite experience. Yes cords can be problematic, but this can be control with a little forethought. You just have to be aware of where the cord is at all time, and when you are running it out to the job, plan where the tree and the cord will be when your are cutting up the tree.

I bought my 14" electric in 1985 when we lived in Wilmington NC. The reason I bought it was to remove a lot of dead trees that had been killed in a forest fire. Most of these trees were less than about 6" in diameter. We then moved closer to the coast and things changed in the next several years when we had about three hurricanes per year for several years. In Bertha we lost a few trees, In Fran we lost about 30 trees from 3" saplings to a beautiful white pine that was about 18" in diameter. (Nearly 30 inches where we cut the trunk off) While we lost a couple more in the following hurricanes, Fran had taken the weak trees.

All of these trees were cut up with the 14" Poulan Electric Chain saw We moved and in the last 14 years, I have had a couple of more trees fall. They were all cut up with the electric chain saw. One was an old apple tree, and most recently a large sweet gum that came down in a thunderstorm.

The saw is still going strong and this winter I plan on using it to clear the brush and small trees from the back of our current property that is about 200' from the house.