Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

magnolia x 'black tulip'

effdeevee
15 years ago

Dear Tree Forum Members:

I have the chance to purchase a 6ft-8ft, blooming-size "BLACK TULIP" magnolia tree for 1/2 price, (end-of-season-sale). So, I need your help, quickly!

None of the web-sites showing this magnolia flower, post any pictures other than when this flower is in the early opening bud stage. Does this flower ever expand past the tight-cup phase, into perhaps, a wider opening bowl-shaped flower, or, are these flowers always tightly cupped? Last spring, I saw this flower up close only one time, but it was just after the buds started to expand, and I never had the chance to return to see if the tepals on this flower would reflex any further as the flower aged. The color looked a little muddy too, but I read that flowers on a juvenile tree, of this variety, do not display the true, rich, deep-burgundy red colors until the tree ages a bit. True, ... or, just some BS?

Would love to hear your experiences regarding this particular variety from ACTUAL growers, rather than reading some hyped-up copy put out by nurseries looking to unload inferior plants/trees. When it comes to printed descriptions in catalogs, etc., I believe practically nothing that the sellers say. I learned this from long, hard experience. Caveat emptor!

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Frank

Comments (28)

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

We've had ours since Fall 2006. So far so good. Haven't had any complaints. I don't think the flowers are very large. We've had terrible droughts here since I've planted it so it hasn't filled in as much as I would like. We also staked it the first year b/c as the other poster said it was floppy. I like the tree though, and I can't wait for next year because it looks like I'll have a few more flowers than this spring!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The problem with badly deformed roots on trees and shrubs is the time bomb aspect. After perhaps decades of growth and the development of a nice big top, the specimen topples in snow or even starts to pinch itself off on one side, where a girdling root is.

• effdeevee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bboy/jqpublic: ....... many, many thanks for getting back to me so soon with the rather disappointing revelations that this magnolia may not be all that it's cracked up to be.

I am very happy that you have warned me to very carefully inspect the root area for defects that cannot be corrected. The crap that is being sold in major nurseries is not to be believed, and when I tell the managers that most of their stock is poorly grown, they give me the famous, "indignant look", and more or less tell me, that if I want the plant, then shut-up and buy it, and don't bother telling them that the plants they sell, belong in the compost heap. Also, the same old inferior varieties are consistantly being sold year after year.

The "Black Tulip" tree that I had my eye on has the "potential" of being a decent looking tree in about 10 years, but, with some corrective training on my part. The tree has a major and minor competing leader, and this is creating a potentially bad crotch area that I'm sure will split in the coming years. This has to be delt with now, and eliminating the secondary leader will effectively divide the tree by half. This is a perfect example of nurseries accepting inferior crap from the growers, and then selling it to unsuspecting customers. For me, this isn't a big problem because I know how to deal with, and correct some of these defects, but after pruning out all the dead wood, crossing/rubbing branches, bad crotches, etc, I wind up paying for half a tree, and THAT sucks! Most of the time I just walk away, but only after telling the nursey owners why I didn't buy their plants. I'm sure I'm not very well liked by most of them, but I work hard for my money, and I really could care less what they think of me.

Tomorrow I'm taking a trip back to this nursery to inspect the root system, as well as possible. The tree is growing in a 15 gallon container, and doesn't seem to be a grafted, but now that you mentioned the root problems, I'll have to look more closely at this area too. I was under the impression that this magnolia variety was micro-propagated, and therefore, grown on its own roots ... but I'm probably mis-informed.

Anyway, thanks for all the great information, and especially the warnings.

Cordially, Frank

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Sounds like you are an unusually astute plant shopper.

• effdeevee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bboy:

Not really. But over the past decades of shopping around, and, seeing, what far too many "nurseries" are selling, AND, at very high prices, I've learned to look very carefully at some of the "bargains" that are offered. Most of the plants/shrubs/trees that are being sold are very inferior, and, should have been rejected by the nursery owners, and never should've been unloaded from the delivery trucks! High priced crap!

My original questions regarding the "BLACK TULIP" flowers still stand. Can you describe the flowers? Do the tepals stay tightly closed, or, as the flower(s) age, do the tepals reflex to form a more open, bowl-shaped blossom? What about the color of the blossom? The flowers that I saw had a muddy, deep-magenta color, and certainly did NOT look like the flowers posted on any of the web-sites showing this plant.

Any flower descriptions would help.

Cordially, Frank

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Small and dark on a narrow erect tree. Do look like darkly colored peony tulips, opening in a similar fashion. Like other somber flowers comes to life when backlit by the sun.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Frank,

That's a big reason why I grow plants in the rootmaker products. Much better root system than conventional smooth sided pots. Not many places sell trees grown in rootmaker container to retail unfortunately.

• effdeevee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bboy: ..... thanks for the flower description. Peony tulips came to my mind too. I was hoping that the tepals would reflex backwards a little further, but I guess the flowers retain that bowl-shaped look.

Thanks again for the information.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

As far as I know.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

The Black Tulip Magnolia I have doesn't have very open flowers. The tepals do stay close together and usually by the time they start to relax it will most likely fall off. So no not a very open flower.

• effdeevee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great tips, information, and especially the warnings about root-bound plants in containers. Now I will examine - even more carefully - any plant that I might consider purchasing.

Thanks again. Frank DV, from: DA BRONX

• tnangela
    14 years ago

Can anyone tell me where this magnolia is available for sale (mail order)?

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Has been offered in the past by Gossler Farms in Oregon. Check their web site for current availability.

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

Rare Find Nursery in NJ has them, but they are currently out of stock. This link shows an email or phone number you could contact to see when the next shipment may come through. They are distributed by Monrovia I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia x 'Black Tulip'

• tnangela
    14 years ago

k. Thank you all.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

>They are distributed by Monrovia I believeSee second post in this thread.

• jqpublic
    14 years ago

Ours is setting up to be a knockout this seasons. It doesn't seem like we'll be getting a late season freeze like other times either. Pics will follow soon hopefully!

• jqpublic
    13 years ago

I thought last years display was nice. This year is even better! I'll try and remember to post pics this year lol!

• jqpublic
    13 years ago

{{gwi:454404}}

I guess it's a little past peak. The pic is with a cell phone, but I'm happy w/ the output this year! Hopefully we won't get any freezes before spring gets cranking.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Jqpublic, how is your magnolia doing? Does it flower early with the soulangeanas? How about growth rate and tree shape, how much per year do you think it's growing? Is it a small narrow tree, or looks like will be quite big and tall? The old pictures are gone. If you have any pictures from last year, please do post.

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

Hi wannabeGardnr!

Sorry for the delay. I tend not to frequent the forums as much this late into the season. I've posted a pic from 2011 and then late this spring. Unfortunately it's past the flowering stage in the 2013 pic, but I think it'll be a relatively tall deciduous soulangeana based off of how it grows. I don't recall how tall it is, but a good 6-12" of growth is common. It's still loaded with flowers too every year. It doesn't flower as soon as the earliest of the other soulangeanas, but it can get zapped from time to time. It looks so flimsy in the spring, with these giant blooms, but I haven't had any problems with breakage. I had a competing vertical leader/cross-branch that I removed, which may explain why it looks so sparse in the 2011 pic.

Here is a pic from 2011 {{gwi:454405}}

Here is a pic from 2013

{{gwi:454406}}

• jqpublic
    8 years ago

Update 2015

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Flowering is still sparse but you are getting a good green color from the leaves.

• jqpublic
    8 years ago

Yeh, we had a late freeze (22 degrees) that zapped all the emerging buds. Haven't had a good show in two years. Just too cold.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

In 20-30 years will this tree still be between 10 and 12 feet?

I saw some today and and considering buying it,

• jqpublic
    3 years ago

So most years it gets zapped by frost but this year it must have bloomed long enough to go to seed. Is this a legit seed bearing cone? I didn’t think these hybrids would go to seed. Additionally they are way up at the top of the tree not emanating near any potential graft union

• Igor Viznyy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Please check the comparison article - Magnolia Genie vs Black Tulip: There Are Some Differences?