Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corkscrew Willow Transplant

Posted by jlhart76 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 13:48

I live in Oklahoma, zone 6. A friend gave me some corkscrew willow (I think that's the name) cuttings that I'm trying to root. Right now they have tiny little white bumps where the roots are starting to appear. Can I transplant them outside in the winter, or should I try potting them up inside until spring? & if so, how long should the roots be before I try transplanting them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corkscrew Willow Transplant

Stick them in a prepared bed of loose soil up against your house or a garage or shed on the most wind protected spot you have facing preferably north or east. The less light the better. Tucked behind a shrub etc.

They've calloused well and now's a great time to do "dormant winter cuttings." You might keep one in your glass of water over the winter and move it to a pot and keep it in bright window when the roots start catching up to the size of your cuttings.

They'd prefer to be outside. Check on them mid-summer next year and they should be ready to move to a container or into their permanent planting place.

And mulch them.

Dax

o

The east side of the house is about 7ft wide, bordered on the north & east by a wooden fence & on the west by the house. In winter it's filtered or part shade, so that would be ideal, yes? & it's ok to plant now, even though there aren't any roots yet? They're about 3 foot long, & only have 2 or 3 leaves on the tips, is that ok? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a novice gardener at best & this is my first attempt at planting trees.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 14:52

Should be OK as long as proper soil moisture is maintained. Willows are very easy to grow from cuttings. I've seen a number of stories about where people stuck willow posts or sticks into the ground with no intention whatsoever of having them root, only to come back later and find their fence posts/stakes rooted and growing like crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here