Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carya ovata - shagbark hickory - seed question

Posted by mrgpag swOH-Z5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 14:11

The remnants of Hurricane Ike blew many nuts out of our trees and I've collected a bunch of carya ovata seed for germination. But I'm wondering how to tell if the seed is viable or not. Is the float test a good indication of good or bad seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carya ovata - shagbark hickory - seed question

I don't know about the float test but one way to tell if there is a good nut inside is if the hull falls free from the nut it is likely a good nut but if the hull sticks and has to be pulled from the nut the nut is no good. - Jim

o

If the nut floats it is a bad one. If the nut sinks...its a good nut. Make sure the hulls are taken off first before floating. Good luck!

o

I tested the floating test. After the nuts dried for a week they nearly all floated. Even the edible ones. The bad ones floated high like corks. These were all large shell bark hickory nuts.- Jim

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 10, 08 at 15:28

Let them float for a while. The good ones will sink when they absorb enough water. Any not down in 4 to 8 hours are bad.

o

sounds like I may have thrown away some good seed as I didn't wait long to toss the floaters. I'll try again tomorrow

Thanks for the tips
Marshall

o

I agree, usually about an hour long soak is enough though. Sometimes just the outer shell will dry enough to make them float. The same thing happens with acorns.

o

If they've dried out that much, chances are the seed will have died of water loss anyway.

Resin

o

I'll often let them soak overnight, especially if they've had time to dry/cure for a few days or weeks. Those that sink immediately are certainly your best bet for planting, but if they sink after an overnight soak, they're probably OK. Additionally, some superior nuts with really thin shells are going to float, or at least not sink directly to the bottom, even if they're well-filled and viable.
Three or four weeks of drying/curing will not significantly diminish viability of hickory nuts/pecans as would be the case for acorns.
I 'float' pecans merely to determine which are well-filled, but I usually do not even bother stratifying them - a good soak for 3-4 days in spring is usually sufficient to get very good germination rates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here