Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Newbie with a Newbie Maple Sprouting

chickencoupe
10 years ago

First of all, thanks for being here and to those who respond!! I put this on the propagation forum, but it's pretty idle.

"Hey all. I robbed the bank! I'm really shocked.... about the tree, not the bank. (I did actually, ask. Once the receptionist was thoroughly convinced I was not taking a chainsaw to a limb, she agreed.)

I pulled a leaf with a 6" stem from the young healthy maple tree at the bank. I brought it home and made some rooting hormone from my local poplar trees. Dipped the lower portion in the hormone, stripped all the leaves but the very top 2. I potted it in some used mix that looked like a good starting soil. I believe it's peat and I can see some perlite in there. I placed a cloudy vegetable bag over it and kept it moist but not soggy.

It's in a small plastic pot.. about 5" diameter and about 6" tall. Then, I placed it in the corner of my covered porch on a open show-case shelf. Seemed the perfect spot away from any direct sunlight but exposed to the excellent temperatures we've had this fall (70-85).

It has sprouted roots. It's only been 2 weeks!

Being the newbie with too many questions for self-control or patience, I uncovered the roots to see them. 2 of them grew out at that "point" .. don't know what you call it. And they are about 1" long each.

Those top 2 leaves aren't dead but really dry. I can see green and a tiny bit of new growth at those 2 "points" on the stem above the soil. (The place where new growth for leaves or roots occurs. Sorry, don't know what it's called.

It's getting colder... down to 45 degrees at night.

I have no idea what to do with it, to begin with. But, especially, I don't know what to do with it getting colder.

Do I leave it out there? It'll be a couple weeks before the first freeze.

This will be used as a bonsai.. not real sure how I'll work that in. I need to order a book about bonsai, really.

I'd appreciate any suggestions so I don't kill it.

If I bring it indoors I have a light issue, but with a lot of fussiness I could probably help it survive.

Do I need fert it with worm tea? Now? Later?
Will it survive outside this young? "

Comments (15)

• famartin
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure you should bring it in given its fragile state. I think that, ideally, you would've wanted to do the rooting months ago so it would have time to grow and harden off, but its a bit late. Its all confused now.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes!

Our weather has been emulating spring and all sorts of things are budding and blossoming out in lock-step. In addition, the drought is ended (for now) in our neck of the woods. I think everything is confused.~ Oklahoma

I'll steal another one in the spring. :D

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Here's an offbeat thought...

It probably won't have any sort of winter hardiness to speak of, since it barely has roots.

I'd let it root as much as possible, and when it drops leaves, keep it in the refrigerator until spring. Make sure the roots stay moist, but not too wet.

That will keep it dormant on a normal schedule without having risk of killing it.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh! That would explain why the leaves are dying. Duh.. didn't think about that.

Am I trying to keep it away from freezing temps?

Cuz that's very possible. I even have a cold frame. In fact, I forgot about my cold frame.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I did some reading and see that light in winter isn't helpful and approximately what temps the roots start dying. I'll put it in the frig before it freezes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

being a proclaimed newbie..

perhaps we ought to start with an ID ...

because i am not aware of hardwood trees rooting ... ???? as in maple.. as compared to say.. a softwood poplar//willow, etc ... but i will defer on this.. because i dont root trees.... but.. that said.. nothing is impossible ...

for winter ..... put the pot on the north side of the house out of all sun ..... and in january.. lay it on its side so water doesnt accumulate in it ... to rot the roots in the cold season ....

your timing is all off ... but for sure.. IT IS NOT A HOUSEPLANT ...

let it go thru it normal phase.. and in spring.. you will either have a live or dead plant ...

trust me on this... as i have lived it for decades... if you try to love it to death.. and try to out think mother nature.. YOU WILL LOSE ....

let it go dormant.. keep it dormant.. and that is the best and simplest thing to try ...

and if you fail.. try this again in spring .. NOT fall ...

care to post a pic for an ID ...

ken

ps: my gut always tells me that weed trees... are usually NOT worth the effort.. because even if you do succeed.. you end up with a weed tree.. in this case .. a prolific seeder.. that spreads itself all over the place... and in the long run.. one would ask themselves.. would i want this prolific seeder in my garden.. where i would end up with thousands of volunteers every seed season??? ... but dont get me wrong.. experimenting.. is the quest for knowledge.. and two thumbs up for that ....

• famartin
    10 years ago

Note to original poster: Ken thinks all maples are weeds ;)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

if you try to love it to death.. and try to out think mother nature.. YOU WILL LOSE ....

ha! No doubt about this forum's ability to help me avoid certain mistakes!! I'll try to snap a picture when I go to the grocery store today.

Glad to know it's a "weed". I don't need any more of THOSE in my yard. However, this one would end up as bonsai experiment. You know, where I'll go through the trouble of keeping it a live through the winter and, then, kill it promptly trying my hand at bonsai.

That would be the reasoning for robbing the bank aside from its potential fast-growing properties suitable to newbie bonsai tree killing.

• florauk
    10 years ago

I was thinking along the same lines as Ken. To root a maple cutting in 2 weeks seems astonishing. I'd be pleased if a pelargonium or fuchsia managed that speed.

There are several possibilities:

1. You have achieved an amazing feat.
    2. It's a maple but you are mistaken in thinking it's rooted.
    3. It's not a maple.

I hope it's 1 but I fear it is more likely 2 or 3. A picture of the cutting and of the roots would be really informative.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

florauk

It might not be a Maple. I could be wrong. I'm not expert. Sun will come up in a bit and I will go over and snap a picture. I didn't get finished shopping before sundown yesterday.

About 4 years ago I wanted to start gardening. I looked up the Oklahoma State University Fall planning guide and read through a bunch of information ending up on soil issues including necessary fertilizers.

I couldn't afford a stupid $4 bag of fertilizer. Well, that just sucked but I also knew, in the past, that folks didn't use fertilizer. Wondering how they grew successfully without chemical fertilizers I looked up home-made fertilizer. The long story ended with me going completely organic. The short end of that story leads to the, now, 25 lbs of worms constantly pooping out the 2nd best fertilizer on the plant. A fella is coming by in a few days to pick up some worms. I'm selling them, now.

Among other issues (I kid you not, now.. serious) is the fact I couldn't buy flappin' rooting hormone. It's cheap! Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to see about making my own. Low and behold, there was willow near by in the creek, the source of rooting hormone and potential aspirin. The hormone worked FABULOUS. I even use it on seedlings, now.

When I took the stupid cutting I remembered the city cleared the willow out. By now, I've knowledge of fast-growing tree species in my area. I have tons of "trash" poplar trees outside. (Close your eyes, Ken!) I thought, they grow fast. I wonder if they've the same stuff as willow?

I grabbed a fresh poplar twig, stripped the bark off, broke the twig and placed all in water for 24 hours at room temperature.

There is your science behind the "amazing feat" aside from the weather we're having which is emulating spring at the wrong time of year. We're actually having a "fall" and it's beautiful but wrong for my part of Oklahoma.

Next time you need rooting hormone, go fresh.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Well, that's a long and interesting story ChickenCoupe and I really hope you have managed to root a maple in 2 weeks. It's just that the balance of probability is rather against that having happened - even with additional gibberellins from the poplar. BTW - are we talking about a Japanese maple or one of the larger maple trees? JMs are easier from cuttings but are usually done by softwood cuttings.

For what it's worth I don't use any artificial fertilisers either, although I don't quite see the relevance of that part of your last post to the question of taking cuttings from a maple. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and having my scepticism shot down.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's raining. I wanted to get the parent tree but I've bronchitis and would be on foot. The cutting will need to suffice. Here's the leaf.

If the research is correct, this is a soft silver maple. So, you're right about that. Acer saccharinum is a "relatively fast-growing deciduous tree"

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate your inspections. It's no harm if it doesn't make it, but I've just learned bunches. The node isn't as nice before I dug the roots out the first time. I don't want to dig it out again.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The entire cutting

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the picture of the node? That strip that looks like it's coming out of the node is a background shadow.

Since it's fast-growing I think it will be excellent bonsai beginning trials. Looks like I did okay cutting and setting. I'll "rob" the bank trees next spring and get more.

I'll follow the advice and experience keeping it alive over winter and learn!

I'll try to come back and update.