Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What maple does Lowe's have planting on their lot

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:26

Maybe every other time I have been there I am too busy trying to figure out my plumbing or woodworking problem or maybe with size these just look great this fall.

They seem more sun tolerant than any Acer palmatum I have and they have lasted through probably ten seasons of parking lot abuse including last year's terrible heat and cold so I am impressed.

Sorry for the cruddy pics. Junior was in a hurry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What maple does Lowe's have planting on their lot

Pic 2

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:28

Amur maple.

o

Ast pic

o

Probably amur maple; acer ginnala

Edit: Ah I see bboy slipped in an ID between the 2nd and 3rd pics!

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:57

o

Thanks. That was Jimmy John's FAST!

o

Yup, Amur maple. Possibly the cultivar 'Flame'.

o

Hey toronado,
I'm guessing and maybe I'm wrong, but I really think that might maybe be Amur Maple...... :-p

Arktrees

P.S. Yes they are very tough and not large trees. Get a good selection and they can have very nice fall color. Seems most of them I see planted are "topped" for the first few years, as to prevent them from growing tall and stringy, and to force widening so that they can be pruned as you see in your pics. Even the local botanical garden followed this practice on probable a dozen of them that they planted. May be the only tree I know of that "topping" is of ultimate benefit.

o

I was doing a little more reading. Hort.uconn lists this one as invasive. I found a POORLY documented Missouri Department of Conservation page that says it is invasive here and some more info saying it probably is invasive from Missouri to the north and east.

Is the phone just not giving me good details or is this tree a minor pest? Not that I need another Acer or Cornus family plant, but darn invasive lists lol.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 23:25

Tree is naturally low and very broad to begin with, the problem should be trying to get it to NOT grow sideways rather than the opposite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here