Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Chinese Pistache Tree Problems in Midwest?

Posted by plantingman 6b (SC KS climate) (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:48

Some of you are familiar with my Chinese Pistache Tree. It was the young one with the huge fork in the middle. Anyway, this tree had begun leaking clear sap droplets all over from tiny hairline cracks in the bark all summer. I actually noticed it late last summer too, but it was only a couple of droplets, so I didn't think much of it. Now it�s happening all over this tree. The leaves at the ends of all the branches turned brown from the outside in and eventually fell by the end of August. In September I noticed brown spots on all the rest of the leaves. This is not fall color. Chinese Pistache trees don't start turning to fall colors in mid-November around here in SC Kansas.
Okay, I said all of that to say this. A small town about 20 miles west of where I live just cut down a 12 year old Chinese Pistache, because it got some sort of disease and was dying. The other two Chinese Pistache trees in that vicinity are doing fine as far as I can tell. Another, approx. 100 year old, Chinese Pistache Tree east of where I live is half dead. The remaining part of the tree appears to be rotting from the inside out.
Does anyone know if Chinese Pistache trees have trouble surviving in zone 6 climates?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Chinese Pistache Tree Problems in Midwest?

Sounds a lot like the signs of a vascular disease such as verticillium wilt. That disease is somewhat common in Pistacia chinensis.

RE: Chinese Pistache Tree Problems in Midwest?

I've been researching verticillium wilt, and I don't think it is that. The leaves aren't wilting and the branches aren't drooping. I did some research on rapid growth cracks, which sometimes occur during periods of wet weather immediately following hot, dry weather. I don't know if the spotted leaves and the ctracked bark are related or not. It's now dormant and has shed its leaves, so its hard to determine anyhting else. I'll probably just wait until Spring and see what happens. If the symptoms continue to worsen next summer, I may replace it.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here