Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Tree with a Double Leader

hoseman
9 years ago

I set out a Chinese Pistache tree this fall. This was the best of these trees at the local garden shop I sue. I know I will have to remove one of the leaders, the question is when is the best time. Should I do it now or wait until it gets established?

{{gwi:455701}}

{{gwi:456189}}

Comments (9)

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

In my opinion there is only one option, that is to remove the more horizontal of the two that goes of to the left in the second picture.

HOWEVER, I would let it grow for a year or so to become established before cutting any thing off.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

You might want to read up on the structural training of shade trees or those with a decurrent (leaderless) growth habit, like the Pistache. It is important to start this training while young to develop a structurally sound branching pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down ot 'growth habit' and follow instructions for decurrent.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

once upon a time.. i staked a tree like this ... is shattered in the first major wind storm.. breaking about a foot over the secure points ...

though that might solve your multiple leader issue.. it isnt recommended ... lol

note what was said about letting your tree get established.. before removing HALF of your canopy ... think of the leaves as your food making machines ... and if you lop off one of the leaders.. there goes half of its juice potential ... but it might b e requisite on this plant ....

to be very frank.. after my debacle.. i swore i would never buy another tree this large ... with these kind of problems .... so think about that for next time... whatever you gained by instant gratification on height ... you will lose.. in the number of years it will take.. for you to prune it back into some gorgeous state of being ... and mind you ... that will not be very hard.. but it will take a lot of patience ... i am thinking at least 3 years .... and i mention that.. because ... on some level.. i get the feeling you think a few cuts and you will be all set next year ...

i want feedback on this option:

i am thinking.. i might cut back BOTH leaders by half ... remove the staking.. since once it loses its leaves it wont need it.. then let both half leaders bud out and produce a canopy for food production next summer.... and then... think about removal of one or the other ...

you dont mention your soil type.. or how you planted it ... and that might be important as to whether it will need staking next summer ....

what do you peeps think... about going radical on this particular tree????

one last thought.. since i dont have this tree... is it seed grown.. or would there be a graft issue to deal with on hard cutting back ....

ken

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I think some trees will always resort back to their habit, but I tried to keep my Chestnut oak to a single leader for the first 15 ft. It is now back to 2 leaders beyond my reach, so Kasara Sarah, likely misspelled there.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Double-leader? Here's your double-leader (Amer sycamore):

• poaky1
    9 years ago

You're right Beng. A REAL double leader is 2 trunks coming up from the soil line, or close to it. What the OP has is not a double leader. And can be solved with simply picking which co-dominate limb to trim back to half, or whatever. I had a Sycamore with the same double leader habit as pictured by Beng. I tried to sever it and thought it would be fine, but, the tree got borers and died from me trying to change it's growth habit. {{gwi:337868}} {{gwi:337869}} This is my Sycamore after I removed the second leader, which was at ground level when planted. So pay attention to your trees shape upon digging up from the woods, (as I had) or purchasing it from wherever. I have since removed it and planted an oak in it's place. I have a London Plane in another area.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"A REAL double leader is 2 trunks coming up from the soil line..."

I've never heard of any such limitation on the definition of double leader, and pretty much universally see the term used to include other situations.

As Ken said, I would be inclined to pass on nursery stock in this condition.

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

I want to thank gardengal48 for the link on decurrent trees. I have a redbud that has been in the ground for 2 years. I took it back to 2 leaders so I could walk under it. After reading that article I saw that that was a mistake. Both leaders, actually 3 leaders were coming out of the same area with no coller separating them. I cut it back to a single leader and will probably have to clean it up later so it can callous properly.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Yeah, A tree can have multiple leaders above ground, I got stupid for a minute there... happens alot with me really. But I will say the double leader at ground level is the least attractive, unless it is on a live oak tree. It could result in a nice crown on an open grown sycamore, if they both branch out sideways, in the woods though, yuck.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting