Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deciduous Tree "pickle" Should I assist in defoliation?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 15:10

Hi, I'm kind of caught in a pickle here. I have a peach tree, a blueberry bush, a blackberry bush, a grape vine, a lilac, a magnolia, a couple of maples, a sumac, a rose bush, and a ton of other deciduous plants. They're either defoliating, or preparing to defoliate. I don't know if I should assist them. I know that they do that automatically, I see it everywhere every winter. This is my first deciduous garden, and I have reasons to assist in defoliation:

1) If another Nor'easter strikes and my trees have foliage, the nor'easter can weigh down my trees and bushes; causing the branches to snap. Remove the foliage as it yellows to prevent this.
2) As the trees defoliate, my thirst for GREEN foliage (and my OCD) plays a trick on my mind causing yellow foliage to make the tree look unsightly. Remove the foliage as it yellows to prevent this.
3) The leaves are only going to fall off anyway, why not help the process?

There are a couple of other reasons I have come up with that I can't remember off the top of my head, there were maybe 2 more. So that's about a total of 5 reasons to assist in defoliation, but my only problem is I have NO CLUE if I am hurting the trees and bushes at the same time.

So, should I help my trees defoliate, or should I just let them do it automatically?

Again, this is my first winter with my own personal deciduous trees. So, any help is appreciated. More advantages to this? Any disadvantages to this? Thanks in advanced!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deciduous Tree "pickle" Should I assist in defoliation?

Leave them alone to defoliate and enter dormancy naturally. The natural abscission of foliage triggers a number of biological changes which are necessary to the plant's life cycle. Altering Ma Nature's clock is generally not a good thing :-)

None of your reasons for removing the foliage early is of any benefit to the tree but only to satisfy some personal needs or a perceived but completely unrealized problem. Get over it and let the plants be - they have been surviving for eons without our intervention for the most part.......certainly without the early removal of maturing foliage.

o

Okay. I wasn't sure if I should, now I'm positive that I shouldn't. Thank you.

o

way back when .... in the time machine.. and i was a newbie .... when i had thoughts like this.. i would take a moment to wonder if i was trying to kill my plant with 'too much love'.. rather than letting nature take its course ...

if the answer seemed to be yes .. as gal suggests.. then let nature take care of it ...

with recent transplants.. in z5 .... just insure they are moist deep within the root zone.. but insure they drain.. before the soil freezes .... mulch properly ... and see what ma nature throws at us this year ... [with cool days and cold nights ... usually no additional water is needed.. but do check at depth]

ken

o

If you are expecting snow, then you will just have to be vigilant, keep going back out to shake the snow off. Defoliating them early isn't healthy for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here