Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

Deciduous Tree "pickle" Should I assist in defoliation?

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

Hi, I'm kind of caught in a pickle here. I have a peach tree, a blueberry bush, a blackberry bush, a grape vine, a lilac, a magnolia, a couple of maples, a sumac, a rose bush, and a ton of other deciduous plants. They're either defoliating, or preparing to defoliate. I don't know if I should assist them. I know that they do that automatically, I see it everywhere every winter. This is my first deciduous garden, and I have reasons to assist in defoliation:

1) If another Nor'easter strikes and my trees have foliage, the nor'easter can weigh down my trees and bushes; causing the branches to snap. Remove the foliage as it yellows to prevent this.

2) As the trees defoliate, my thirst for GREEN foliage (and my OCD) plays a trick on my mind causing yellow foliage to make the tree look unsightly. Remove the foliage as it yellows to prevent this.

3) The leaves are only going to fall off anyway, why not help the process?

There are a couple of other reasons I have come up with that I can't remember off the top of my head, there were maybe 2 more. So that's about a total of 5 reasons to assist in defoliation, but my only problem is I have NO CLUE if I am hurting the trees and bushes at the same time.

So, should I help my trees defoliate, or should I just let them do it automatically?

Again, this is my first winter with my own personal deciduous trees. So, any help is appreciated. More advantages to this? Any disadvantages to this? Thanks in advanced!

Comments (4)