Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over Winter Tree Saplings

Posted by gardenputz 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 15:14

I have 3 Betula Negra Duraheat saplings coming this week. I was planning on putting them in pots and overwintering them in a unheated porch. The temperature will get below freezing out there but not nearly as often as the outdoors. Anyone see this as a bad idea? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over Winter Tree Saplings

If you know where you want them growing, go ahead and plant them there. Now; and mulch well.
Any time the ground temp is above 40 degrees, they'll likely be accomplishing some root growth, which will translate into better growth next year.
Better off in the ground than in a pot.

o

yes... a horrible idea...

why cant you just plant them???

otherwise.. pot them.. and leave them outside... against the north side of a wall... to keep all winter sun off them ...

and they will need a tree potting media.. not one heavy in peat .. too much water for trees in winter ... cactus mix would be perfect... or bark mini nuggets mixed 50/50 with a peat media ...

and once watered.. just about never water them again in winter.. but make sure they dont dry ... dormant trees dont need a lot of water ....

see.. that is why healing them into mother earth would be easier.. and cheaper.. in the long run ...

a zone appropriate plant [this one is 5 to 9.. you are 6] .. does not need to be protected from cold ... and now is prime planting time...

you are on the verge of loving them to death.. just plant them ... even if you have to move them in spring.. before they wake up ....

see link for PROPER PLANTING.. and PROPER AFTERCARE... based on your soil

if it were me.. and i couldnt place them in a permanent site.. i would HEAL THEM into the veggie garden... [or any free space in a garden bed] ....for winter.. ma nature is a pro at it.. use her..

do not overthink this .... every time i failed.. i can usually relate it back to overthinking it ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: no fert.. no amendments.. proper depth for soil and drainage... mulch and proper water ...

o

Well the saplings are mail order shipped from Oregon to N.J.
I imagine they will be in somewhat sorry shape on arrival. They will be approximately 5 ft tall and I was hoping to grow them a little bigger before planting them in their final spot in front of the house. Deer are also a problem. How about a large planter container of some sort ,let them grow in it outdoors for a year and then plant them when they are larger?

o

ForestFarm I take it?

I planted Sequoiadendron giganteum and Sequoia sempervirens as soon as they arrived at my parents home in New Jersey from ForestFarm in early November 2009. They're still alive and over 6 feet tall now ;)

So, like everyone else said, its far wiser to plant them where they will end up staying now, rather than later.

This post was edited by famartin on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 23:02

o

Thanks for the responses I'll plant them outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here