Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenapprentice

Dog ripping off crape myrtle branches

gardenapprentice
10 years ago

My dog has been taking a liking to our 2 crapes now he's torn one to the ground and we replanted one, but he keeps on eatin the branches I hate it and we do to want to but another one, please can anyone tell me what I need to do

Comments (6)

• drrich2
    10 years ago

Build a small wire fence around the 2 crape myrtle bushes.

There's a gadget used to guard small Koi ponds called a Scarecrow; it hooks to a water hose and has a motion sensor so as to spray water at intruders.

You could take a look at 'invisible fence' type products, and maybe bury the wire for one around your bushes, stick a color on the dog, and go from there.

Or train your dog with a shock collar to avoid the bushes.

Richard.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

TRAIN YOUR DOG ...

i described my method at the link ..

good luck ....

ken

ps: yes a physical barrier should work .. but that still leaves you with the mutt from hell .. lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardenapprentice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol he's a good dog definatly not from hell lol, but he started tearing our other one and it's basically shredded so looks like I'm gonna buy one in a day or two

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

He's a gorgeous dog! I don't which is worse, your crape eater or our mulch eater.

We have used a citronella collar and it works extremely well. I like it better than a shock collar because it gets the dog's attention and is a bit unp[leaseant, and also makes him smell great. Another deterrent would be pepper spray, which you can buy to keep rabbits away. I used pepper spray on our furniture when our pup was really small (he's 9 months now) and it saved a lot of furniture. It works real fast.

• gardenapprentice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol thx as you can tell it's a GSD but he ripped the crape more today, my relative got mad at him and put him in his outside cage area we plan on gettin another crape possibly 2 more hopefully they know not to plant the trees in the yard with my dog anymore lol but the sad thing is they were to to crape myrtles and never bloomed and I hate to leave the crapes there because their beautiful vase structure is ruined I'll dig em up and get another one within the week all crapes are on sale yay lol

• Ashley Mckinnon
    last year

I understand this is from 8 years ago but to anybody reading this like i did this may be useful......I planted a crepe Myrtle the end of last summer and my puppy ate it to shreds also. I just mowed my backyard and in a week I have about 5 shoots coming off it and it looks healthier then ever. I read that the shoots coming from the bottom aren't good for the tree but I'm assuming nature was taking its course. Once plants/trees/shrubs are rooted they should handle themselves. I'm gonna let it take its course and pray for the best lol. Crepes are Hardy plants and very hard to kill. I recommend before going to buy new plants wait and see if it revives itself. It's kinda like if a branch breaks on a tree but stays connected the tree heals itself and grows back and sends out new branches to make up for it. Good luck to anybody with a wild pup.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES