Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajereza

Is this tree too close to the house?

ajereza
9 years ago

Hello,

Wondering if you can help this newbie out. Just bought this home recently, and though this tree looks so lovely in fall, I'm worried it may be planted too close to the house? The tree is nearly as tall as my 2 story house. Should I be worried about the tree or root system causing damage to my house? Any advice would be much appreciated!! Anyone know what kind of tree it is?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I will hazard a guess at a japanese maple. A billion cultivars. Can you post a pic with a branch with several leaves on it.

Personally I would not be worried if it is such. You might have a branch or two to prune away from the siding every couple years but no big deal.

Welcome aboard.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yes and no ...

yes ... because it is being pruned to keep it off the house.. ruining its inherent natural beauty ... it would have been so much better to plant it another 10 feet out ....

no .... because roots do NOT cause problems.. they avoid them ... no tree is going to chisel or drill its way thru your foundation or into modern PVC type pipes ...

BUT ... if you already have a failure in either.. then the tree will take advantage ...

the usual problem with trees is old style clay sewer pipes.. that are packed with oakum.. and when that fails.. the roots can get into them ... sell link for examples .. we cant answer that issue .. though a local plumber might know about your neighborhood ....

finally ... its not a hundred year old 100 foot tall.. hanging over your house.. so it wont kill you in your sleep .. so not a problem that way ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

ajereza thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Color is very Serviceberry-ish. Regardless, it appears to be at a mature size and won't get much (if any) bigger. Not a tree you need to worry about damaging your house.

ajereza thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
  • poaky1
    9 years ago

I just sowed a Q. Alba (white oak ) acorn about 15-18 ft from my house on the southern side. I would say that I am taking a bigger risk than you are. I think that your tree is a tiny little gnat compared to what mine will be eventually. But mine will likely have better behaved roots. I think as long as the roots behave, you'll be fine. So if you have a red maple it may do more foundation damage than a humongous White Oak. But really if your tree is mature at that size in the pic, I would think it's fine, til you see otherwise. I am just guessing. wait for more educated guesses, though.

ajereza thanked poaky1
  • ajereza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses guys... Good to hear from a newbie tree guy like me. I took closer pics of the leaves that were on this tree. I live in Illinois so taking a picture of the branches with the leaves on it was not an option :) After looking at the branches and leaves, does can anyone help me determine what kind of tree it is?

• ajereza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic of the branches

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Does it produce white flowers in spring? The habit and leaves do look very much like serviceberry, Amelanchier spp.

ajereza thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ajereza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haven't seen the flowers in spring as I moved in recently, but will keep an eye on it next year.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Definitely Serviceberry...bark, habit, leaf shape, & fall leaf color are all consistent.

ajereza thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
  • poaky1
    9 years ago

Angrywatermelon, the spot you have 10 after your name "angrywatermelon" is where most folks on here put there gardening hardiness zone. You can put what you want there of course, but it may have some people thinking you are in zone 10, which Illinois is certainly not. It may help with any confusion to change it. I just thought I would mention that, but if you are aware of that and want what you have there, it's your business, I just mentioned it cause it may help with any future confusion. Poaky1