Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestion for small evergreen tree

Posted by tricia_pa z6b PA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 15:38

I need a suggestion for an evergreen tree/shrub that would be a focal point in the front of our house in front of our porch. I would prefer something no bigger than 15 feet, airy, not too dense. We currently have a blue atlas cedar that was there when we bought the house and of course is getting very large. It looked great for a few years but we're having it removed as it will soon dwarf the house.
Thank you for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestion for small evergreen tree

I would go with American Holly. Its a rare Pennsylvania native tree. It also is slow growing and its small red berries provide food for songbirds in the winter. It does however max out at 50 feet but thats not for well over a hundred years.

o

There are some really nice American Holly cultivars as well. Like 'Satyr Hill', 'Dan Fenton', etc. These were selected for form, nice leaves and good berry production. Might be hard to find.

Also, as far as conifers go, there are some really gorgeous Hinoki Cypresses that you might like. They almost convey an Asian feel. Not too dense, nicely layered branching effect. Look them up! Lots of cultivars to choose from. Some have gold tips. All stay a nice green in winter. Don't require pruning.

o

please define 'evergreen'

do you want a conifer ... flowering shrub ... berry shrub ... ????

evergreen means many differing plants ...

ken

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely do some research on the American hollies. A hinoki cypress was one of my thoughts too. I saw a golden one in the nursery and really liked it.

By evergreen, I meant non-deciduous. I don't have my mind set on a conifer, flowering shrub, etc. I am open to a wide range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here